Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is PB different for women? page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

How is PB different for women?

Primal Fuel
    Help us, Mark.

I've found that unless you go 90/10 or 95/5, it's hard for women to get the same super lean results as men, even with patience. I'm talking the last few pounds of fat!
    Curious as to why these differences exist, and WHAT WE SHOULD DO.
    Some say: up the carbs. Others say: exercise more. Others say: count your macros obsessively.
    All very conflicting/confusing advice!

What does your wife have to say?

thyme is offline Member
    +1
    also, pre-last few pounds, IF, protein vs fat consumption, certain monthly will-kill-for-carbs cravings, etc. We're fat-building & fat-conserving machines, by and large--how does PB differ for women?

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Have you read any of his wife Carrie's posts on his blog? They are pretty helpful.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    She has written a few posts for the blog, and fielded questions from readers.

Just a note, but I believe Mark himself has said that he's not really interested in helping people get to absurdly low levels of body fat, so much as he is interested in getting them to optimal health and functional fitness. But I don't think the Primal Blueprint is necessarily here to help you 'fight' your body or 'sculpt' it into looking like something in particular. It'll get you to optimal body composition, not a certain skewed idea of what is optimal. Also consider that if you can't lose those last few pounds of fat... it's because you're a woman, and you're supposed to have that fat on you. Mostly to attract men and make babies with them someday.

Also have you ever had a week of just meat, eggs, & non-starchy veggies? Even just a day? Most of the men on here who have become super-lean and fit don't seem to eat primal baked goods, fruit, etc. They may eat starch in the form of rice, sweet potatoes, etc. ... but the bulk of their diet still is made up of meat and veggies. So they actually do seem to be going 95/5 or 90/10.

As for protein vs. fat consumption, I believe it's covered in the book. But I think it's good to eat more fat as you're adjusting to the diet and getting keto-adapted, but once you're adjusted, I think it's important to get a certain amount of protein, a certain amount of carbs, and let fat make up the rest, up to a certain caloric limit.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 05-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Agreed...women are supposed to have more body fat than men.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    And, if your body fat goes too low, you run the risk of throwing your homones totally out of whack.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

thyme is offline Member
    I'm not interested in extreme leanness--I'm just interested in the ways (and whys) that PB differs for women and men. Several threads have touched on this--Paleobird's calorie counting epic; the IF summary (cited from leangains?) about fasting hormones for men and women, leading to a peak IF for women of slightly less duration than for men; the monthly craving threads (and cited research from somebody (??) about women's hormonal cycles and exercise, which I've been trying to understand in a dietary context. e.g., will kill for carbs today.)

Men and women have different hormones, and so it's reasonable that men and women react differently to the hormonal aspects of PB. I've read Carrie's thoughts and the threads here, but I'd like to see a grand take-down on the subject.

And...if I'm not stepping into it...it might help some of the women who try PB but give up before making the full adaptation...I wonder if women and men react differently to that adaptation process.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I had really no problems adapting to PB. I'm not losing fat at the rate I would like to but I realize due to PCOS and age(35) its going to be more difficult for me to lose fat than it would be for a woman 10 years my junior. I realize that I am healing myself from the inside out and after a slight grain binge from over the past weekend, I know now that I can't touch grains without suffering serious conequences which I am still in recovery from. I have learned that with PB you just need to be patient and pay close attention to your needs with your body. To the OP, if you have specific questions on this, send a message to Mark and ask him. He may be willing to do another post on this. Also you may want to check the archives. I believe there is a section for women.
    Georgette

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I don't even think they can generalize and say that this is how PB will be for women. I stepped into this without looking back and am losing a little amount each week - slow and steady. I'm 48 and peri-menopausal but I had no underlying health issues when I began, other than those that rapidly disappeared by cutting grain out of my diet.

The OP is much younger, has never had children, and has different goals than I do (she also seems to have commitment issues - sorry Tanya!).

There are women on here who are dealing with a whole host of hormonal and other health issues. Nothing is going to work for everbody.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I don't even think they can generalize and say that this is how PB will be for women. I stepped into this without looking back and am losing a little amount each week - slow and steady. I'm 48 and peri-menopausal but I had no underlying health issues when I began, other than those that rapidly disappeared by cutting grain out of my diet.

The OP is much younger, has never had children, and has different goals than I do (she also seems to have commitment issues - sorry Tanya!).

There are women on here who are dealing with a whole host of hormonal and other health issues. Nothing is going to work for everbody.
    Totally and wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast