Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat when you don't like fatty meat? page

Embyr42 is offline Member

What to eat when you don't like fatty meat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm struggling with being hungry.
    My problem is, I don't like fatty meat, and I don't eat seafood. I don't actually really "like" meat all that much- so I'll eat a couple ounces of chicken breast or ultra lean pork, but that's about my limit. I'll make myself a huge steak to eat, and then I eat about 3 bites and can't do it anymore.
    I can't even tolerate the feel of meat fat in my mouth, it makes me gag, and makes me feel nauseous. It often makes me unable to finish my meal, it is just really really gross to me.
    I also hate that greasy feeling in my mouth from eating greasy meats, and I can't stand the smell of meat cooking. I also have a really hard time eating meat that is not just freshly cooked which is making packing a lunch nearly impossible- and I can't afford to go out every day.

Help! I so believe that this is the right way for me to eat but I am hungry and that leads me to eat way too many carbs and nuts, just because I'm hungry and can't figure out what to eat.
    I'm gluten intolerant so all of the carbs available to me are ultra refined and ultra high glycemic. Worse than sugar sometimes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Find new recipes for chicken and pork. Sweet and sour, Indian-style curried, mix it up with different spices. Open a cookbook!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Do you like avocados? Maybe grill your chicken or pork with a some primal-safe cheese and avocado on it.

Another thing I like to do is shred Romano cheese and grind walnuts, shred some squash, spice it up, add chicken bits and fry it in olive oil like potato pancakes. Yum. They are crunchy, spicy, and filling. Sometimes I make this to fill sweet peppers, or just eat the "pancakes."

I would drop the refined carbs... bad news.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Oh and buy parma ham and that's GREAT for sandwiches (lettuce wrapped). With a bit of pesto, some scrambled egg. DELISH

callherpetrol is offline Member
    what about ground meat-- ground beef, lamb, or pork. i can't stand the texture of steak, but give me it ground in meatballs and hamburgers and i'm in love. you can make some kebabs with ground lamb and breakfast sausage with ground pork.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Oh I am so sad for you. I live for fatty meat!

My mother is the same. She hates fatty meats.

Have you tried turkey, for a different flavor than chicken but still can be very lean? What about lean steak? I`m thinking tenderloin, but there are other lean lean cuts. Just peak through the meat section and find a steak with very little fat.

Do you like curry? Coconut milk based curries are a great way to get some fat into you without it feeling fatty. Also soups that you can add heavy cream or coconut cream to.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Embyr42 is offline Member
    tanyayogi- I have many recipes for chicken and pork, I cook every meal I eat and I am a very good cook! (and unfortuantely an even better baker To my chagrin) I'm just finding myself hungry on the lean meats because I don't want to eat a huge quantity, and they don't have any fat. Not a fan of parma ham though- or eggs. I eat them because I can't stand meat in the mornings, but I hate them.

DFH- I love the sound of your dish, that's a great suggestion! I don't like Avocados except in guacamole, and only if I make it (so it basically tastes like garlic). So I eat that sometimes.
    I have been trying to avoid any carbs other than fruits and veggiesit's just that if I do want a piece of bread or pasta or something, it's made of ground rice, fava beans and teff! Which is even more refined than wheat bread.

callherpetrol- I eat ground meat once in a while, it's usually 96% lean beef (can't do lamb- shudder) and I drain all the fat off- it leaves that nasty coating in my mouth otherwise that sends me rushing for a toothbrush, but I can try grilling it on a kebab like you mentioned that's a great idea.

lil_earthmomma- Actually I hate turkey, especially the smell! But love curries, I do make curries sometimes, I guess I'll have to make coconut ones.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will keep experimenting, and hope to find a balance so that I'm not hungry!

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Do you like gravy? That is basically fat, seasoning and a thickener. Need to add the right flavors and build up your enjoyment of fat. Then you can start savoring the goodness. I'm starting to get used to even straight cod liver oil...

Who says you need to eat fatty meat? Eat leaner meats if you want and get your fats through butter, EVOO, cheese, nuts etc. You'll still be getting some animal fat from the leaner meat.

I'm not a huge meat-lover either. I do like a good steak or a really tasty roasted chicken thigh, but there are plenty of types of meat I don't care for either. When you say fatty meat, do you mean marbling or big chunk of grisly fat? I trim that kind of grisly fat off - I think it's gross too. But a really well marbled steak or cut of meat is a completely different kind of fat. I typically like lean steak like tenderloin but the best steak I ever had was a prime sirloin. It had so much fat running through it that I had doubts, but it was delish.

My suggestion for you if you are a good cook is to make more stews and one-pot meals. When the meats blend with everything else, you won't concentrate on the meat so much. I hate bland, dry chicken breasts just baked with nothing else going on, but take the same chicken breast and cook it into Chicken Paprikash, and I'll eat much more of the meat. Even though something like that is traditionally served over noodles, it's great without.
    Last edited by Renegade Yogurt; 05-17-2011 at 08:27 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You really are better off eating fatty meat than eating lean meat and supplementing fats. There is a lot of benefit in eating the whole animal rather than picking and choosing. If you really believe this is the way to go then you know what to do
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast