Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing desk passive workouts page

shiggles is offline Senior Member

Standing desk passive workouts

Shop Now
    Having converted to a standing desk last week, I'm interested in doing more passive workouts at work. So far I've had success standing on one foot, and doing super slow squats at my desk.

Does anybody else have any suggestions for some easy workouts to get the blood pumping at a standing desk? It's not my goal to be sweating or huffing while writing memos, just subtly raising my heart rate a little and getting my muscles moving.

Bonus points if my boss doesnt notice. I don't need him to come by my desk and see me doing handstand shups....
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    bring a ball and try to balance on it? haha

honestly I have no clue... short of actually taking like 5 min breaks every other hour to do some type of exercise (push ups, etc) I don't see how much can be done just standing. People take cig breaks almost every hour where I work so I don't see how you taking a small breather from work should be much different. That's what I said to my boss when confronted, since we work with a heavy smoker and nobody says shit to him. I told my boss if it was okay for my coworker to smoke one every hour it should be okay for me to take a fresh-air break just as often. I don't even do it as often which is why it kind of bothered me when he asked me why.

I hate my job though, sorry for the tangent.

That's definitely a possibility. I wonder what balancing on one of those half balls I see at the gym would do for my core. I should explain that when I do slow squats at work I can definitely feel my heart rate go up. I switched to standing after reading a bunch of articles that basically state that sitting all day is killing people. The way I see it, if im doing things like low intensity squats and standing on one leg, it goes toward my "move slowly a lot"

Yeah that's why I take breaks so frequently just basically trying to avoid prolonged sitting. There's only so much I can do though since our computers are ancient and I don't exactly work in the most forward thinking environment... also, my only experience standing so long is in concerts and that wasn't the most pleasant thing either, how do you like it so far?

At first I was concerned that I would be in pain all day before I adjusted. But so far that hasn't been my experience at all. When I'm done for the day I can definitely tell that I haven't been sitting all day. This is a positive as far as I'm concerned. I'm convinced that what is helping me most is that I'm constantly moving and fidgeting. Standing here behind my desk mate has really shown me how little we move when we sit at a desk. He literally moves only to type something and wiggle the mouse. I'm always shifting from foot to foot, putting one leg up, moving back and forth and randomly leaving my desk to walk around a little bit.

I don't think I'm going back to sitting. My chair is directly behind me and I havent sat on it since last week. I bought a cheap anti-fatigue mat at home depot and I think that's helped quite a bit. Honestly I didnt even ask my boss to do it. I just appropriated an unused, wooden file cabinet and stuck my computer on top of it. It turned out to be just the right height (about 15").

In light of this posting (and in light of being so bored and having to write cover letters for jobs... and in light of wanting to procrastinate) I stood, or rather have been standing for I guess an hour now. I do feel a bit of fatigue already which can't be good, I've also been shifting and generally moving a wee bit more, stretching, putting one foot behind the other, getting up on my toes, etc... I feel a small stretch in my hamstrings where they meet the back of my knee. That area must not be used to not being bent... shit, I do too much sitting I guess. Sit in the car, the office and at home I'm usually sitting too. Fuck, I'm gonna die!

It still wouldn't work at my current job but I'm trying to leave that dungeon and wherever I go next I'll see if I can do more standing. Brb dying...
    Last edited by iniQuity; 05-17-2011 at 05:12 PM.

LOL. Stay at it man. It's really not that bad.

Here's an infographic

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    That was awesome.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

GreenLightJerky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    I don't think I'm going back to sitting. My chair is directly behind me and I havent sat on it since last week. I bought a cheap anti-fatigue mat at home depot and I think that's helped quite a bit. Honestly I didnt even ask my boss to do it. I just appropriated an unused, wooden file cabinet and stuck my computer on top of it. It turned out to be just the right height (about 15").
    15" seems very low.

I am actually having my work space switched to standing as well.
    After reading that "Sitting is killing You" i know I Made the right choice as my drive to work over 1 hour each way.
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i do a ton of squats and lunges during the day, as well as calf raises, timed periods of standing on one leg, and a lot of stretching. just stay moving and stay loose

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast