Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The wave of the future," says my doc page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

"The wave of the future," says my doc

Shop Now
    So, I haven't had a physical in a while, decided to go for it now that I'm mostly recovered from my c-section.

I've lost 65 pounds (living primally of course!) since she saw me last, and she knows I've struggled with weight for years, so I was curious what she would say. Of course she asked how I did it, and I told her it was a low-carb approach with higher fat than protein. I eat lots of vegetables, meat, some fruit. No grains.

As soon as she heard "no grains" she said, "Oh, like a paleo diet? That's great!"

Then I explained that I had tried the lower-fat paleo approach before and it didn't work for me. I only really got into it again due to this great author/blogger, Mark Sisson, who promotes a variant he calls "primal" -- higher fat on the food end, and a whole-lifestyle approach including exercise (although I haven't been able to do much of that) and I really liked it. He uses a "Grok" caveman as a mascot which is handy for marketing but of course he is ultimately basing it on the science, too.

She said, "It seems like a sound approach, although I have to admit that the whole cavemen-equals-healthy assumption turned me off..."

I said that while the caveman concept can be a handy analogy, of course health decisions should be based on sound science. I mentioned Dr. Harris's blog and his approach of science-based decisions and leaving your n=1 as a last criterion.

Her conclusion -- not word-for-word but as near as I can recall: "Your bloodwork is fabulous and you seem so happy! You've been doing this for a long time now and like you said, you don't feel deprived, so it seems sustainable. I'm so glad this is working well for you. The hyper-low-fat emphasis in recent decades has been the wrong track, I think. This approach -- focusing on healthier sources of carbohydrates, lower-carb, avoiding grains -- this is the wave of the future. I certainly hope so."

She asked me for Web sites so she could suggest this to other patients so I emailed her links to here and Archevore on the spot. :D
    Last edited by Jenny; 05-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic! I love doctors who get it and don't just regurgitate every guideline set forth by the AMA, etc.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like you've hit the jackpot of doctors!
    Good job, chica! (or would it be chiquita yet?)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Can i import your doctors brain into the local doctors ones?
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Calibunny is offline Member
    You are so lucky to have such an open-minded doctor! Since I have gone Primal in the past 2 months, I have had 2 doctors tell me the following: my OB/gyn (on seeing that I have lost weight and my blood pressure dropped to a healthy range): "How did you do it? No sugar or grains??? thats no fun! Why would you want to do that???" my female Chiropractor: "well, don't go too crazy on that diet, you need to have your grains!" arrrghh! It makes me not even want to see any doctors anymore.

I, too hope our Primal way of eating becomes the wave of the future!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Wow, lucky you! If I thought I could find a doctor like yours I might actually consider having a routine check-up. Doubtful in these parts though.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I am definitely lucky, and I'm glad she's supportive. Wish you could all have the same luck! Have you seen that index of paleo-friendly docs yet? I don't have the link handy but I just found it recently. Lemme know if you need me to look it up.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Yay for your doctor (and you!). I saw my doctor about a week before I went primal due to horrendous periods from the onset of menopause. That was about 12 weeks ago, and so far, I haven't needed to go back. I wonder what he'll say when I do.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Paleobird Guest
    My doctor was very impressed by my weight loss and listened to my pitch about Primal and then said, "Oh that's almost like what I recommend for my patients with diabetes except I think yours is better because it emphasizes the all natural, non fake foods. What was that website again? I want to write this down."

I think that there are a lot of open minded docs out there, particularly if you get a younger one. Mine even works for a huge HMO. I really think that docs and "The Medical Establishment" sometimes get an unfair bashing around here. If your doc won't listen or at least respect your choices, find one who will. They DO exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast