Thread: fructose primer?? page

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member

fructose primer??

Primal Fuel
    anyone care to take this on?

I'm specifically curious about fructose & the liver. Is it possible that fructose can cause insulin resistance in the liver?

God... I love fruit. But, I'm thinking I really need to rethink my excessive fruit intake. I've gained a good 10 lbs since I got back from Hawaii (because of course, you cannot go there and not eat a shit tonne of fruit!)... but since, I've been indulging in fruit more than I have in the past two years.

And what are the best fruits to eat (aside from berries) that are more glucose based? I'm looking for ideas on carb refeed days.

TIA
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to give you a vague answer because I'm pressed for time. Generally speaking, the higher the GI of the fruit, the higher the glucose it contains. Things like berries and apples are low GI, which tends to signify a greater fructose content. Bananas, mangoes, grapes, watermelon and dates are higher GI, so they would likely be higher in glucose.

There are many sites that list the GI of common fruits. Look for a fruit glycemic index chart, and pick the higher GI fruits that still maintain a lower glycemic load. If you have high GI but low GL, that means you're getting mostly glucose, but in smaller quantities. It's the glycemic load that'll get you in the end. A single gram of white potato may have a high GI, but the GL will be so low, it's harmless. Know what I mean?

Of course, the best thing to do is to abstain from fruit unless you need a pre-workout boost or you're on a carb refeed...
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Rummy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you seen YouTube - Sugar: The Bitter Truth ? Its 90 minutes but you'll never wonder about sugar and your liver again.

The problem with finding fruits that are more "glucose based" is that table sugar (sucrose) is basically a fructose joined to a glucose at the molecular level so you're getting both. When people talk about berries having relatively low amounts of fructose per their nutritional value its because they don't have a lot of sugars overall.

The Perfect Health Diet has a nice table of the fruits they prefer in terms of fructose vs nutritional content but I can't find anything like that online ATM.