Thread: Pork Offal page

Minky is offline Member

Question Pork Offal

Primal Fuel
    I got a bag from my meat CSA, and I'm not even sure what all is in it because my DH did the pickup. It's frozen, so it's hard to tell if it's one big organ, or a variety.

Liver and heart maybe? I can give more details as it thaws.

Any suggestings for seasoning and preparing? We haven't been too adventurous with the organs yet, so I am hoping to make this a good experience!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    One traditional recipe is faggots—here's one of many recipes you could adapt, if that appeals:

BBC - Food - Recipes : Faggots with onion gravy

Minky is offline Member
    Thanks for the link! But I'm pretty simple in the kitchen, so that one seems overwhelming.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    One traditional recipe is faggots—here's one of many recipes you could adapt, if that appeals:

BBC - Food - Recipes : Faggots with onion gravy
    Loved the recipe - until I reached the breadcrumbs!! What can be subbed fir those?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I adore pig hearts, usually just brown them in a saucepan, throw in some liquid (water/broth/wine) and vegetables (sauteed mushrooms and onion, carrots) and let them simmer for an hour, then reducing and finishing the sauce with some cream. For an extra step you can fill the hearts with herbs or garlic or dried fruit and tie them with some string or sticking a toothpick through.

Minky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I adore pig hearts, usually just brown them in a saucepan, throw in some liquid (water/broth/wine) and vegetables (sauteed mushrooms and onion, carrots) and let them simmer for an hour, then reducing and finishing the sauce with some cream. For an extra step you can fill the hearts with herbs or garlic or dried fruit and tie them with some string or sticking a toothpick through.
    Thanks, this sounds like something I can handle! Do you cut up the heart at all before browning?

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    I had some in a Latin American country a while back. They were called: chinchulin or something like that. I expected them to taste 'offal' but it wasn't bad. Kind of chewy though.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Thanks, this sounds like something I can handle! Do you cut up the heart at all before browning?
    No, but you can do that if you're in a hurry (the meat won't need to cook as long)