Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warning about shop-bought lard page

PaleoMum is offline Member

I've been going primal for a few weeks now and at first I felt fantastic. I've always had digestive issues and a severe wheat intolerance, but my bowels felt better than they had for ages. Then it all went downhill and I ended up with terrible pains in my stomach and chronic diahorrea. I couldn't believe that a diet which I truly believed to be healthy could do this to me. I started wondering if I needed to go back to the potatoes!

The only change I'd made during those few weeks was starting to cook with lard. I found it hard to believe this was the cause, but decided just to check. The ingredients said: Lard; antioxidant (natural tocopherols). What are tocopherols? Vitamin E. And what is the most common source of Vit E? I looked it up... wheat germ!

I'm now off the lard and waiting to see if tummy improves. Next time I'll render my own!

Not everybody will be as sensitive to wheat as I am, but for anybody out there who can't understand why this wonderful diet isn't resolving tummy issues... this is for you.

soror is offline Senior Member

I was thinking I had read that tocopherols in products was generally soy derived. As with new FDA laws if it is actually from wheat it should be listed as such, of course all gluten doesn't but wheat does.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Looked it up again and it does say that it is a maybe ingredient. We use tallow here that I bought from US Wellness(grassfed) and have some as well that I got from the partial cow I just bought that I need to render. The tallow from US Wellness is a very good price for the 5 gal size- 100-$108 w/ shipping which is about $22 a gallon- for good grassfed tallow.

That's interesting about FDA rules - I'm in the UK and there is no obligation to state the sources of those types of derivatives over here.

And of course both wheat and soy can cause GI problems.

Oh, sorry I didn't even think about the different countries aspect. AS I have read w/ celiac different additives are derived from different sources in other countries and what might be safe one place wouldn't necessarily in another. All of which makes it oh so fun when you have to restrict foods- and you are right soy and wheat can both cause problems. Me and the kids cannot have gluten and my daughter also has horrible problems w/ soy as well.

grandma is offline Member

commercial lard is often hydrogenized too.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Yeah, I didn't realise about the hydrogenisation when I first bought it.

Soror - do you think these probs are hereditary? My two-year-old has coeliac disease but my other child shows no signs as yet. But I bet when she gets to her 20s it will hit her.

I think there is certainly a hereditary component, but as to why it expresses in some and not others I think there can be a million different reasons. I hope that with my kids anyway that their other intolerances(neither can tolerate dairy either) are secondary to the damage created from the gluten and once we heal from that they "get" other foods back.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think that may well happen - I've never been able to go back to eating wheat but have been able to start eating other foods, such as tomatoes, which used to upset me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast