Thread: Is this the answer? page

Grokim is offline Junior Member

Is this the answer?

Hi! I'm new (duh) and really excited to be here. Until my mid 30's I was one of those people everyone hated. I could eat anything (and, often everything) and not gain an ounce. I am 5'4" and at that time about 110 was my "high" weight. Fast forward to know, (I will be 42 soon) and I hover between about 147 and 155. I'm very slightly built and this extra 30ish pounds is not good. Top that all off with a barrage of auto-immune issues (hashimoto's hypothyroiditis, ulcerative colitis that are part of a bigger "syndrome") and the big winner (wait for it) MENOPAUSE (i've been in full blown, early meno for about 3 years now). I have some barriers. I've had digestive/gas issues that i've always felt were food related (my colitis is VERY mild) - I did discover I have a fast and intense (gas/pain) reaction to oatmeal. I spent the past month off ALL dairy to see if the remaining issues resolved. I have concluded I have no problems with dairy. I've kind of known that I am most likely reacting to gluten for a while, but i've been in denial about it. So I find myself here, hoping I can find a new way to approach food and my weight and improve my health.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all! Have to run and go make my big ol' salad!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I never thought I was gluten intolerant until I found the PB and quit eating it! What a difference.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Encouraging to hear Belinda! Thank you for the welcome!!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Oatmeal is a notoriously gassy substance... It's definitely not just you. Though you may have a stronger reaction to it than most. I hope you see some great results going primal!

Welcome! I'm new as well. Never liked oatmeal, but knew I might have been gluten intolerant before going Primal, so I stopped eating gluten and then stopped grains altogether. Definitely made a difference!

Good to know Kiva! Thanks! BTW, I'm in Madison too.....

I was wondering where you might live, since your location was US Midwest.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    One of the benefits I didn't expect when switching to primal was the complete lack of gassiness. I'm pretty sure I had some degree of IBS, and that's completely gone too. Yay for no more rushing to the bathroom I hope it works as well for you!
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
    One of the benefits I didn't expect when switching to primal was the complete lack of gassiness. I'm pretty sure I had some degree of IBS, and that's completely gone too. Yay for no more rushing to the bathroom I hope it works as well for you!

Yes, that's another thing that's happened for me. Minimal to no gassiness.