Thread: Nightshade free BAS page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

Nightshade free BAS

in a follow-up with my knee surgeon, he pointed out that i have a little arthritis behind my knee cap, which explains some of the lingering soreness i've been feeling. since then i've been reading up on lectins, nightshades and arthritis, and decided to back off of the nightshades for a little while to see if they are affecting me...
    ...but peppers and tomatoes are staples in my daily BAS. i don't want to stop eating salads (there's just something about having 12 different foods available in one bite), so i'm looking for suggestions on what others put in their BAS.
    here are the other daily staples:

spring mix/field greens
    broccoli
    mushrooms
    beef
    dressing

plus the occasional avocado, cheese or slices of salami

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    So... uhh...

Whats a BAS???

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    So... uhh...

Whats a BAS???
    Big-Ass Salad?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes throw a handful of shredded cabbage (I cheat and use bagged coleslaw mix) or a handful of cauliflower florets in my salad. Sometimes I throw a can of salmon or tuna in there or a couple of shredded chicken thighs.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    My wife is susceptible to arthritis, young as she is, and her grandmother was plagued with it from her early thirties til she died, so I end up going through bouts of nightshade free food preparation when her symptoms are really bad (she is a potato addict, and is fond of peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes, too, so it's never a permanent thing at my house), but here's a few suggestions that I use on her salads.

I usually use a base of baby spinach, then depending on whether I'm going for a lighter or more savory salad -

crumbled goat cheese, strawberry slices or blueberries (two strawberries total or a quarter cup of blueberries), walnuts or slivered almonds, finely diced red onion, cucumber wedges, and shaved/grated carrots (this salad tends to be on the sweet side and likes a lighter dressing). My wife is a vegetarian, but when I make this salad for the family I add roasted chicken slices or flank steak for the meat eaters.

or

Add radicchio to your base of spinach then toss in feta, seared artichoke, seared mushrooms (there is no yummier non-meat food than mushrooms seared in coconut oil), sliced roasted garlic, sliced kalamata olives, roasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds, sliced water chestnuts, red onion strips, and shaved carrot. Chicken and lemon-drenched tuna fish (no mayo, of course) are excellent additions.

One salad I really love uses no dressing and also starts with a base of baby spinach but I also add escarole and arugula. Add to that sliced cucumber, jicama, slivered almonds, shredded/grated carrot, sliced avocado, shaved coconut, and the juice from one whole lime (if you still want a dressing I'd recommend balsamic vinaigrette, but I dig it with just the lime juice). I usually don't add meat to this one, but if I did it would be some kind of white fish or maybe chicken.

To add ingredients in list form -
    Artichoke hearts, olives, carrots (I prefer grated to sliced), red onion, jicama, water chestnuts, avocado, any leafy green, slivered nuts, berries, citrus juice, mandarin orange slices (fruit is great when used sparingly for a zip of color and flavor), cucumber, diced zucchini or yellow squash (scrape the seeds out first), radicchio, endive, sliced kiwi, shredded or flaked coconut, roasted garlic slices, leeks, scallions, onion, sliced ginger, shallots, sardines, tuna fish, chicken, beef, shredded pork, nuts - and I'm sure I'll think of more stuff just as soon as I post this . . . but that should be a fair start.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    So... uhh...

Whats a BAS???
    As suggested above, BAS is indeed = Big Ass Salad

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    To add ingredients in list form -
    Artichoke hearts, olives, carrots (I prefer grated to sliced), red onion, jicama, water chestnuts, avocado, any leafy green, slivered nuts, berries, citrus juice, mandarin orange slices (fruit is great when used sparingly for a zip of color and flavor), cucumber, diced zucchini or yellow squash (scrape the seeds out first), radicchio, endive, sliced kiwi, shredded or flaked coconut, roasted garlic slices, leeks, scallions, onion, sliced ginger, shallots, sardines, tuna fish, chicken, beef, shredded pork, nuts - and I'm sure I'll think of more stuff just as soon as I post this . . . but that should be a fair start.
    that's a pretty good list. i think i've been limiting myself to what i can find in the somewhat limited produce section of my local grocery store, so i just plain old haven't been thinking of artichoke hearts and olives which i can get from cans.
    and sliced ginger...never would have though of that. thanks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can get the roasted garlic jarred as well (though I prefer to roast my own). Cans are our friends. So is the olive bar at my local Whole Paycheck.