Thread: Bad Reactions to Vegetable Oil? page

Mammoth toppler is offline Junior Member

Bad Reactions to Vegetable Oil?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've noticed after eating fried things in restaurants I often have pretty bad pains in my stomach/bloating/belching for at least the rest of the day. Typically I lose appetite and gas won't stop coming up, and often I'm feeling nauseous - and this discomfort can continue for several days (last year, after eating dim sum at a Chinese restaurant, I lost appetite and had pretty violent intermittent stomach pains for about a month).

I used to blame it on the carbs/wheat gluten but since going primal, I've noticed it still happens if I eat in restaurants and have some fried meat or oily vegetable dish. Which leads me to think this is a reaction to vegetable (especially hydrogenated vegetable) oils. I have entirely cut them out in my own home use and have absolutely no problems whatsoever using EVOO, ghee, butter, cream, coconut oil, and other types of saturated fats, as well as no problems with any type of nuts or chocolate. Just t his sudden and pretty bad reaction to fried things in restaurants. What do you guys think?

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    I think it's entirely possible.

I've started to have some bloating issues myself after eating out. And the thought of vegetable oils is starting to really ick me out. I'm thinking that there may be a connection.

Pitter is offline Member
    vegetable oils appear to cause problems for my husband and I that are at least as bad as wheat gluten.

Cutting out vegetable oils was the one thing that finally allowed me to have perfectly clear and even toned skin. Now when I eat out and have veg oils for more than one meal, my back will get itchy and oily and my face will begin to break out.

Vegetable oils are connected with severe menstrual cramps for me and seem to also make my period last longer (though there may be other variables involved).

Eating nuts roasted in vegetable oil gives my husband the most horrible gas, so that's strictly forbidden now.

My husband also thought that he was lactose intolerant for a long time, but after cutting out veg oils he is able to digest milk without gas or runs.
    Last edited by Pitter; 05-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Wheat, sugar and vegetable oils. All three need to be eliminated.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It could also be cross contamination with gluten. If they're frying breaded things in the same oil, you could get enough gluten to react. Of course, avoiding vegetable oil for its own sake is still a good idea.

grokina is offline Member
    If I have it in any quantity I feel like I've been steamrolled by a small vehicle for most of the following day. Tired and bleary = inflammation, I guess.

lsutiger143 is offline Junior Member
    Oh yeah, this sounds like me!!

I think it's definitely the oil. I can eat eggs and bacon just fine at home, but if I go to IHOP or someplace like that, I feel bad after. I find that most restaurants hurt my stomach except for places that are of higher quality (but too expensive for me to partake in too often).

I never had these problems until I started eating pretty clean. But I think it's a good sign from your body. I am overall in excellent health and so this leads me to believe that my body is just screaming at me when I eat the wrong foods.

It almost seems bizarre that food could do that. Sugar makes me feel terrible now, too. Trust me, it was fine before =).

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    It could also be cross contamination with gluten. If they're frying breaded things in the same oil, you could get enough gluten to react. Of course, avoiding vegetable oil for its own sake is still a good idea.
    This is probably what it is. I do not know of any restaurant that changes its oil in the deep fryer after every meal. That would be too costly for them. Especially if it is a chain restaurant they are only required by law to change their oil once per week. That is the case for fast food restaurants as well. So there is no doubt cross contamination with everything that has been fried in there. If it is not deep fried you have less chance of cross reactivity but normally the grill will still have residue from other dishes.

Plus vegetable oil is not primal/paleo and is not considered a good cooking oil. I understand it is unavoidable when eating out. But if you are looking for answers that could be a reason why you are getting bloated after meals.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes I noticed that I had awful belching and reflux straight away after I went out to eat recently and I knew it was the veg oil cos thats all I could taste. I knew they had used veg oil as you could see into the kitchen and I saw them using it. Plus I could taste it and it tasted rank. Had it again the other week. Bought something from a shop which was made with veg oil. Same response; felt sick and yuck. Hate the stuff.