Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOL,oils page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

LOL,oils

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mazola: Since its birth in 1911, Mazola® has delivered great tasting, high‐quality products for you and your family.

Mazola® cooking oils are made of 100% pure oil with no additives, so the great flavor of your food comes through. All Mazola® oils are cholesterol free and have become a healthful tradition in American cooking.
    ================================================== =============
    Wesson Canola: Good for your Heart

Pure Wesson 100% Natural Canola Oil is the most versatile type of vegetable oil and it provides the best nutritional balance of all popular cooking oils.

Wesson Canola's light, delicate taste makes it the perfect oil to be used in every recipe that calls for vegetable oil.

• Pure Wesson 100 percent Natural Canola Oil is
    good for your heart.

• Wesson’s canola oil has the same health benefits as olive oil without the strong taste allowing for the food’s taste to come through in cooking.

• Canola oil provides a source for healthy fat (monounsaturated fat) that is essential for everydiet.

• According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (USDA), Wesson Canola Oil now comes with a qualified health claim on its ability to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) due to its unsaturated fat content.

================================================== =============

Yummy yummy!
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Delicate flavor??? Even in my CW days I thought canola oil smelled FUNKY! Blech.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post

• Pure Wesson 100 percent Natural Canola Oil is
    good for your heart.
    AFAIK, Canola is a brand name for rapeseed oil. Now the problem with oil from rape is a fatty acid called erucic acid. It's associated with heart lesions. They've tried to breed it out of the varieties they use for the oil, but there's still some in there.

Contains a substance associated with heart lesions? Does that sound "good for your heart"?

All that claim boils down to is that they've leapt on a belief that monounsaturated fats, such as are found in olive oil, duck fat, etc., might be "good for the heart":

Monounsaturated fat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since rapeseed oil is high in monounsaturates, they're making the claim on that basis.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Indeed. Which is egregious nutritionism. It might have oleic acid and ALA but it also has a bunch of linoleic acid, twice as much as olive oil. I think that oleic acid protects against heart disease but not because it lowers LDL cholesterol. Its effects on insulin sensitivity, HDL, and various hormones like adiponectin and testosterone are desirable. It also prevents breast cancer by modulating gene expression whereas linoleic acid makes all of that worse in excess. Olive oil and getting some omega 3 fats from a good source like fish makes a lot more sense.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Heart Healthy logo doesn't mean much anymore when even ice cream has the heart healthy logo now.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    • According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (USDA)
    It's gotta be true! After all, the US government cares about my health, not big business!

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I saw a youtube clip on how Canola oil is made. I immediately understood where the term rapeseed came from xD

me jane is offline Senior Member
    So, I have a big bottle of canola oil that I have ceased to use, and I don't know what to do with it. Pour it down the sink drain?

I must say that fields of yellow rape blossoms are really beautiful. And in Japan, stalks of rape with buds/blossoms are used as a green for various dishes in springtime. So, it's not all bad.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    So, I have a big bottle of canola oil that I have ceased to use, and I don't know what to do with it. Pour it down the sink drain?
    Put it on the curb, someone might take it.

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Probably a difference between cooking a couple of stalks versus using tons of seeds and chemically extracting oil and putting it through many processes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast