Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epigenetic (a.k.a. Functional) Orthodontics: building better faces page

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

Epigenetic (a.k.a. Functional) Orthodontics: building better faces

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been researching functional orthodontics, which seek to improve the underdevelopment of the jaws and face due to poor nutrition (think Weston Price) with innovative dental appliances (not braces) that widen the arch and realign the teeth. Totally different than the traditional orthodontics paradigm.
    It's so fascinating to see the facial changes that occur as a result (not to mention the improvements in things like sleep apnea, TMJ, nervous system imbalances and even Tourette's Syndrome!) I really want to have this done some day

Here's my blog post on the subject:
    Pretty in Primal: Epigenetic Orthodontics: Building Better Bites, Faces and Health?
    Last edited by hazyjane; 05-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I've been researching functional orthodontics, which seek to improve the underdevelopment of the jaws and face due to poor nutrition (think Weston Price) with innovative dental appliances (not braces) that widen the arch and realign the teeth. Totally different than the traditional orthodontics paradigm.
    It's so fascinating to see the facial changes that occur as a result (not to mention the improvements in things like sleep apnea, TMJ, nervous system imbalances and even Tourette's Syndrome! I really want to have this done some day

Here's my blog post on the subject:
    Pretty in Primal: Epigenetic Orthodontics: Building Better Bites, Faces and Health?
    Wow - I have never heard of this, but have always hated my underdeveloped lower jaw and crappy arch. I had no idea there were options out there to correct this. Any suggestions of how to find a reputable practitioner?

At the bottom of the article, I go over several treatment options and each one has a list of dentists on their site

I had no idea about all this either, until just recently. We hear so much about how f*cked our teeth and jaws are but nothing about what can be done!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Really interesting that you bring up the change in faces - when I was a kid, I had a palate expander and orthodontic headgear to correct a narrow palate and reverse overjet (maybe my orthodontist was ahead of his time?). It made my face significantly broader overall, and prevented me from ever needing braces. I also suspect it's the reason why I haven't had to get my wisdom teeth removed. In other words, it made my face and mouth look a lot like the people in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration who were eating their native diets.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Really interesting that you bring up the change in faces - when I was a kid, I had a palate expander and orthodontic headgear to correct a narrow palate and reverse overjet (maybe my orthodontist was ahead of his time?). It made my face significantly broader overall, and prevented me from ever needing braces. I also suspect it's the reason why I haven't had to get my wisdom teeth removed. In other words, it made my face and mouth look a lot like the people in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration who were eating their native diets.
    I SO envy you! I surprisingly still have all my wisdom teeth (and very little crowding, despite a small lower jaw). I'm hoping to do palate expansion and bring my lower jaw forward. I have chronic shoulder tension and I think it's likely due to my bite!

BTW, if you guys want to see something phenomenal that really illustrates how much your jaws can mess you up, watch the Tourette's treatment videos:
    Dr. Stack - TMJ Pain, TMD Pain, Orthodontics, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, VA, MD, DC

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I SO envy you! I surprisingly still have all my wisdom teeth (and very little crowding, despite a small lower jaw). I'm hoping to do palate expansion and bring my lower jaw forward. I have chronic shoulder tension and I think it's likely due to my bite!
    Hopefully today's epigenetic orthodontics palate expanders are a bit kinder than the standard one I had! I have a distinct memory of running down the street when it came time to crank mine open a bit more, with my mom chasing behind me with the key

I do still have chronic shoulder tension and forward head posture. I wonder if my bottom jaw needs help too!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for posting this. My older daughter had an upper palate expander and braces when she was about 16. My youngest is now 10 and also has a very narrow jaw and has been having preliminary visits with an orthodontist. I'm going to take your info with me on her next checkup.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Hopefully today's epigenetic orthodontics palate expanders are a bit kinder than the standard one I had! I have a distinct memory of running down the street when it came time to crank mine open a bit more, with my mom chasing behind me with the key
    I never had to chase my daughter down to crank hers open more, but one time it did actually snap and shot a piece of wire into her palate. We had to make an emergency visit to our regular dentist to get it removed as the orthodontist was an hour away.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast