Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epigenetic (a.k.a. Functional) Orthodontics: building better faces page 2

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    *sigh* my teeth are f*cked, I did browse around this area but got disheartened at the lack of UK practitioners (or even knowing what worked etc). Will read your blog post now, thank you

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Hopefully today's epigenetic orthodontics palate expanders are a bit kinder than the standard one I had! I have a distinct memory of running down the street when it came time to crank mine open a bit more, with my mom chasing behind me with the key

I do still have chronic shoulder tension and forward head posture. I wonder if my bottom jaw needs help too!

These are different than the rapid palate expanders that are used on kids. They use very light force and most of them are only worn at night. They're not painful. If your top jaw needed expanding, it's likely that your bottom jaw did too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    *sigh* my teeth are f*cked, I did browse around this area but got disheartened at the lack of UK practitioners (or even knowing what worked etc). Will read your blog post now, thank you
    The Homeoblock and DNA appliances both list UK practitioners and I know that the Orthotropics site is based in the UK: In fact, this type of treatment originated in the UK and is much more widely used throughout Europe than it is in the U.S.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Well that's even worse; there IS a UK pratitioner but she's on completely the wrong part of the country...

ETA - missed your post there, wil look at the Orthotropics

strom is offline Senior Member
    Is there anyway of fixing the uneven wear of the teeth too? If I line my jaws up like a herpes device would do, I have big holes in the molar areas. I'd love to do this since it might fix my neck spasms which I never knew what caused, and my difficulty sleeping. I have an overbite. This is quite expensive unfortunately and combined with crowns (I assume that's how you replace lost teeth) it could cost up to 10000 I would think. I really doubt insurance would cover it. The sleep difficulty and neck spasm may help with insurance, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Is there anyway of fixing the uneven wear of the teeth too? If I line my jaws up like a herpes device would do, I have big holes in the molar areas. I'd love to do this since it might fix my neck spasms which I never knew what caused, and my difficulty sleeping. I have an overbite. This is quite expensive unfortunately and combined with crowns (I assume that's how you replace lost teeth) it could cost up to 10000 I would think. I really doubt insurance would cover it. The sleep difficulty and neck spasm may help with insurance, not sure.
    I'm not really sure- I guess you'd have to get a consult. You can also get bridges if you have lost teeth.
    Dental insurance will cover appliances (although it seems to average about $1500 worth of coverage, which doesn't go tat far...)

Pitter is offline Member
    interesting post hazyjane, I just added you to my reader. I had no idea that this type of technology existed for adults. I had a rhinoplasty that vastly improved my breathing. When I was younger I had braces and headgear to correct my jaw alignment. These are just the issues that were corrected, I can only imagine the impact of having had better facial development overall.

LukeD is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the post Hazy,
    I remember having something like that forced on me when I was a teenager to fix a tooth that we getting squeezed, if only I had stuck with it.
    One of the dentists around here that offers the homeoblock, also does the invisalign. Any reason you didnt include it in the write up? Seems very popular, I think its the same idea using a slightly different approach, could be wrong though.
    Either way, might be time for me get a consult, and see if there is still hope for me to reverse the stupidity of my younger days.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
    Thanks for the post Hazy,
    I remember having something like that forced on me when I was a teenager to fix a tooth that we getting squeezed, if only I had stuck with it.
    One of the dentists around here that offers the homeoblock, also does the invisalign. Any reason you didnt include it in the write up? Seems very popular, I think its the same idea using a slightly different approach, could be wrong though.
    Either way, might be time for me get a consult, and see if there is still hope for me to reverse the stupidity of my younger days.
    The reason I didn't include Invisalign is because it doesn't really have anything to do with widening the palate and changing the bone structure. It only straightens teeth, just like regular orthodontics. The orthodontic appliances correct the underdeveloped growth (causing new bone growth), and braces/Invisalign don't. It's just completely different.

It's a nice option for people with a good bite and crooked teeth who need a simple cosmetic fix, but people with bite problems like overbites (like me!) are not candidates for Invisalign.

LukeD is offline Junior Member
    So since they claim they fix overbite on their website, without changing the bone structure, I'm assuming the result would be there but on a smaller scale compared to the products you wrote about. I tried to find some comparisons, but haven't had much luck yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast