Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole chicken in crockpot for bone broth question page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Whole chicken in crockpot for bone broth question

Hello...

I have a whole chicken in my crockpot for bone broth... how long should I cook it before I remove the meat and put the carcass back in??

Thanks for your help... this is my first attempt at this!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I do it until the meat easily falls from the bone.

I just made a chicken like this last week. I pressed down upon it with the blunt edge of a bamboo spatula, and it completely fell apart.

Not sure of the time. Roughly 3-4 hours (?) on high.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Okay... thank you! You always have the answers, Tigerlily

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Just to offer an alternative method, I prefer to start my chicken on the stove. Put the chicken in a stock pot (or any pot that will fit it, really), and cover with water. Turn your burner on high and go brush your teeth or something til it comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and let it simmer for one hour (and that's why I start with the stove, because it generally takes a bit longer to get the chicken done in the crock pot).

Take your chicken out of the pot - I use roast forks, but you can slip a sharpening steel or a long butcher's knife through the cavity and lift it out that way (if you cook it much longer than an hour prepare to fish chicken parts out of the pot rather than the whole chicken), and put the chicken on a grooved cutting board or platter or even a large dinner plate.

At this point I usually take my big butcher knife and cut the carcass in half lengthwise so it will cool faster.

Skim the foam and dump the resulting broth into the crock pot. When your bird is cool enough (it's usually still pretty hot when I do this step because I think the meat comes off the bone easier when it's hot, but you can let it cool as much as you like) peel the skin off and add it to the broth, then pull your meat to a clean plate and dump your carcass in the crock pot. Add water to top things off if needed and cook on low for the rest of the day (or at least 4 hours).

As for the chicken, if I'm not making an actual chicken soup out of it, I like to pull it pretty fine and douse it in my Carolina BBQ mixture (1 cup apple cider vinegar/6-8 tbsp flake red pepper) and sear it on high heat in my big iron frying pan and then freeze it in single serve baggies for future lunches.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Like Brahnamin, I much prefer the stove to start. First, it is easier to scape the scum off the top which forms in the first hour or so. Second, I think I would have a hard time covering a chicken in my crock pot, you'd need a really big crockpot. Keeping the water and a very low boil or light simmer, I usually take chicken out after 90 minutes or so, wait until it cools, strip off the meat and set it aside, and then add the bones back to pot and let them simmer for another 3 hours or so. If you then take out the bones, you can add the meat back to the broth plus whatever else and you will have an awesome soup base.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    . . . you'd need a really big crockpot . . .
    This.

I finally got an 8 quart crock pot last winter (had to order it online) - best purchase to date this year.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    4-5 hours on low, probably 3 or 4 on high. It is counterintuitive, but it will dry out if left on too long. Another alternative is a pressure cooker, about 20-25 minutes-done.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Thank you, all, for the advice! It took about 3 hrs on high to cook the chicken and then I put the carcass back in and left it overnight on low. Not sure how long I should continue to cook it or if I should turn my crock pot to "keep warm" instead of "low". Also, what about straining it? Mesh strainer good enough? I never got any foam on top to skim?

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I don't get foam or scum in the crockpot either. I let the bones and skin go 24 hours on low but that might be overkill, it just happens to be conducive w/ my schedule. I have onions celery and carrots in w/ them so I do strain when done.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The scum happens from boiling it on the stove.

Never happens in the crock pot because it never violently boils.

Seems to be a lot of work and extra mess to do it on the stove first... that's why they invented the crock pot! HAR!

When I do my whole chickens in the crock pot, I just throw the body in there, put on some salt and pepper and turn it on high for 4 hours (sometimes it's done in three).

Now, if I want a bunch of delicious broth, like you do, I put the body in there and then fill the thing with water, about 1 inch from the top (your chicken body will add to the water volume as well).

When chicken little is done, take him out and put him on a cutting board, strain the liquid after it cools off if you wanna, save that chicken broth
    in another container. Strip your chicken body of all his meat, put his skeleton back in the crock pot, fill with water, do what IvyBlue does and be
    on your merry way.

You could probably get away with doing it for 12 hours. Like overnight or something.

Julie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast