Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition advice for hour and a half Jiu Jitsu class page

agustin is offline Junior Member

Nutrition advice for hour and a half Jiu Jitsu class

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, just wanted some advice on what would be the proper pre class intake, since ive been gassing out pretty ugly especially in the 2-3 seven minutes rounds of sparring.And it's not just the cardio, my muscles seem to give up pretty soon.
    I'm eating regular primal breakfast-lunch-dinner, BUT i don't eat anything before class mostly because i'm not hungry.Classes are 45 minutes technique and the rest sparring, i have no problems with the first part.Should i up carb intake at lunch on class day or just before it?
    any advice is highly welcomed, thanks in advance

MetalMayhem is offline Member
    I would like to hear some recommendations as well. I did high school wrestling for 2 years and unfortunately I stopped doing it because the high intensity 2+ hour practices of drilling and fighting 6 days a week was horrible and i was tired all of the time. I realize now that if I had just allowed myself to eat enough calories, protein and carb to fuel it then I could keep doing it. I remember very well just barely loosing so many matches because I was so tired, my muscles had no strength, and I was literally almost blacking out. Burned out far too quickly and dreaded everyday of practice like I was going to hell everyday haha. If I'd been fueled correctly I could have kicked more ass. This was pre primal but was getting into health and did not eat nearly enough.

Would appreciate advice on what to eat so that I can have energy for hour long mtn bike ride/sprints

anyone?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I would have a snack like a banana or apple a little before class and consider making your own sports drink to bring for refreshment in between rounds of sparring. I trained jiu-jitsu for a little over a year and they were some of the hardest training sessions of my life.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that as you get stronger and your conditioning improves, you'll be able to go for longer regardless of what you've eaten.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Thanks Al, love the blog!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agustin View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted some advice on what would be the proper pre class intake, since ive been gassing out pretty ugly especially in the 2-3 seven minutes rounds of sparring.And it's not just the cardio, my muscles seem to give up pretty soon.
    I'm eating regular primal breakfast-lunch-dinner, BUT i don't eat anything before class mostly because i'm not hungry.Classes are 45 minutes technique and the rest sparring, i have no problems with the first part.Should i up carb intake at lunch on class day or just before it?
    any advice is highly welcomed, thanks in advance
    Has this changed since you adopted a more primal diet? Or have you always gassed at this point?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agustin View Post
    Thanks Al, love the blog!
    Thanks! Happy to help!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Coach Palfrey, i have noticed i gas out more quickly and in a deeper way since i started eating primal, but i also dropped 15 pounds and feel grat overall. So i wanted to know if i was missing something in the equation.

olFox is offline Junior Member
    I do not eat anything pre/post bjj. basically i eat what i would eat normally during the day. training does not change that.

I think a lot of it will depend on how you are training. Some people have a really high work rate, and you need a lot of cardio to pull that off. I am pretty laid back and can go 5-6 rounds in a row without too much trouble cardio wise. However i have a very reactive game, and rest a lot during a roll (I am old, and beat up. There is no way i can keep up with a 20 year old, so i do not try to; i relax and wait for a mistake).

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I make sure I have something about an hour before I train, usually an apple or banana. I can't train on a completely empty stomach because I'll burn out really quickly. Afterward I get pretty hungry so I will focus on protein for growth. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast