Thread: When Veg*ns Come A-Callin' page

fitmom is offline Senior Member

When Veg*ns Come A-Callin'

Primal Fuel
    There are some trolls who love to stir the pot around here....and there are some genuinely curious veg. people.
    How do you tell the difference? I don't think it matters. I've seen enough former vegetables improve their health here. Even a couple who started as trolls.
    What if we treated them nicely and gave them lots of links to think about....and then when they were done challenging and insulting, and a few months down the line they started to notice their poor health, they'd come back?
    This forum is turning into a defensible space. And its supposed to be open to all. Thoughts?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Seems like a viable alternative to me
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Wenona1975 is offline Member
    I agree we shouldn't get into big arguments. If we feel good eating animals, as well as fruits and vegetables, that's what works for us. Each person should decide for him or herself what they eat to be healthy.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've never understood the hate-filled philosophy when it comes to just about any subject - nutrition, excercise, religion, politics or anything.

You never change any minds that way, you polarize instead. They spend their time defending, not listening, and they'll never feel welcome and admit it if they ever start thinking you might have something.

I try my best to disagree kindly.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I agree that we need to err on the side assuming these are not trolls, but truly curious. More flies with honey and all that good stuff. OTOH, if the trollness becomes obvious, ignoring is the best remedy and has the added advantage of really pissing them off.

I'm probably more sympathetic than some because I have many, many vegetarian and vegan friends and the vast majority of them are that way for moral and ethical reasons. I respect that, even though I believe it's misguided for the most part. (Can't argue the awfulness of factory farming, it is obscene.) Several of them are extremely overweight, even obese.

One dear, dear vegetarian friend just went through 18 months of total hell fighting breast cancer. She eats all the 'healthy' CW garbage: granola bars, soy everything, low-fat everything, grain, grain, grain and tons of fruit. I want to scream at her to ditch that crap & go Primal - use every advantage to stay in remission - but I don't think she'll hear it.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I've never understood the hate-filled philosophy when it comes to just about any subject - nutrition, excercise, religion, politics or anything.

You never change any minds that way, you polarize instead. They spend their time defending, not listening, and they'll never feel welcome and admit it if they ever start thinking you might have something.

I try my best to disagree kindly.
    Well, in most cases, people have beliefs about certain topics, that may or may not be based upon rational evidence and depending on how the topic is approached, people can become very defensive about their beliefs, especially if they think they are being attacked.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Well, in most cases, people have beliefs about certain topics, that may or may not be based upon rational evidence and depending on how the topic is approached, people can become very defensive about their beliefs, especially if they think they are being attacked.
    True. If they're not rational, arguing isn't going to help (straight foward facts aren't either, to be honest). If they are rational, the best way to convince them is to show them the facts in a way they can accept and still save face.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    I've seen enough former vegetables improve their health.
    all. ?
    former "vegetables"- LOL!!