Thread: Travel Channel-Mongolia sure looks Primal page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Travel Channel-Mongolia sure looks Primal

Primal Fuel
    I'm watching a program called "Bizarre Foods" on the travel channel and this guy is going through a market with a local guide in Mongolia. Sure looks primal to me.

Veggies are scarce and expensive. The market is full of animals to eat, and nothing goes to waste. They have all kinds of critters to eat and they leave all the fat on and eat that too. Families enjoy a goat's head like we enjoy a turkey.

The host keeps talking about the "high fat" diet, then he goes "well its cold here and they burn it all back off." What a dipweed. I guess I should give him some credit though, he did just eat an eyeball.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    There used to be a "Mongolian BBQ" place where I lived, though I'm not sure how authentic it was. It was basically meat with some spices, aromatics, and a little bit of veggies. Tasty, though.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Hehe my friend is living in Mongolia right now... when she moved there, she was a vegan, but I don't think she is anymore. I hope not, both so a) she lives, and b) so she's not missing out on all that delicious meat (lamb especially, I think).

DFH
    Oh yeah... There was one in Harbor City across from my dr's office with the grill on the table. I used to make my appointments just before lunch and head over there afterwards... yee haw.

Based on what I just saw on this program, there isn't going to be an authentic one in North America, maybe "Mongolian-style.." They haven't even mentioned rice yet BTW. It's meat with all the fat, and lots of creative ways to use dairy. No bread either that I can see. The host was just trying to eat some crunchy bits made from fried curd that looked like a bowl of rocks... Mongolian jerky (or crunchy).

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    Hehe my friend is living in Mongolia right now... when she moved there, she was a vegan, but I don't think she is anymore. I hope not, both so a) she lives, and b) so she's not missing out on all that delicious meat (lamb especially, I think).
    Yeah, it looks like mostly lamb and beef. Veggies are expensive.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I was watching too, pickles are more expensive than a goat's head!

I love the part where they cook the animal by removing all the innards, then putting it BACK into the animal with hot rocks, then sewing up the animal and basically pressure-cooking it! it was definitely primal.

Looks as though they're a relatively healthy looking society, they are a little puffy but it seems to be genes, especially in the face.

Regarding the fat comment he actually said something like "their high fat diet helps their active lifestyle" he said the fat they eat provides them with the energy their chores require. He doesn't mention their lack of carbs, but we can infer that given that not a lot of veggies grow there.

DFH
    Didn't he say the rocks they used to cook the goat from the inside out were animal dung (or a mix)? When they cut open the goat, he goes "don't eat the rocks," and the Mongolian goes "those are for special guests.." haha.

People did look pretty trim and healthy.