Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientific American Writer John Horgan Says Taubes Has "Thin" Evidence page

JSB
    JSB is offline Junior Member

Scientific American Writer John Horgan Says Taubes Has "Thin" Evidence

Shop Now

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I have my disagreements with Taubes, but this is not a very good article.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Heh yeah "asians eat rice and are slim, and I eat pasta and I'm thin" is pretty weak. But I do think that the emphasis on 'don't eat carbs' rather than 'eat real, whole foods and avoid wheat/vegetable oil/excess fructose, and that's why cultures with traditional diets don't get fat even if they eat rice and lots of carbs' invites those sorts of weak criticisms.

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    I thought Asians ate less than 150g of rice/noodles and the rest was fat and protein. No where near the 400g+ of grain carbs Americans eat.

Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    Heh yeah "asians eat rice and are slim, and I eat pasta and I'm thin" is pretty weak. But I do think that the emphasis on 'don't eat carbs' rather than 'eat real, whole foods and avoid wheat/vegetable oil/excess fructose, and that's why cultures with traditional diets don't get fat even if they eat rice and lots of carbs' invites those sorts of weak criticisms.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    I thought Asians ate less than 150g of rice/noodles and the rest was fat and protein. No where near the 400g+ of grain carbs Americans eat.
    I mean, "Asians" is a pretty broad group. If you are in subsidence-level poverty/food supply and are physically active, you are not going to get that fat. Now that China and India are getting paid, they are also getting fat and diabetic.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I do agree with the point in the article that you can eat carbs and be thin. It's about how much you eat more than it is specifically what you eat. I believe that it is clear now that overeating on any kind of food will result in gaining fat. Even Dr. Eades states this in his blog that eating too many calories, regardless if it's low carb and high fat, will result in fat gain. This doesn't mean that Taubes doesn't have some good information, but low carb is not necessarily the way to weight loss.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I mean, "Asians" is a pretty broad group. If you are in subsidence-level poverty/food supply and are physically active, you are not going to get that fat. Now that China and India are getting paid, they are also getting fat and diabetic.
    Yes, but even in poverty when all you have available to eat is rice and lentils, even if at a normal weight (or underweight) it affects overall body composition (not much muscle tone, and a tendency to store fat around the belly, which you can see in many indian men, especially as they move past their twenties). Eating in caloric excess of anything will lead to fat gain, but I think there's enough to support the notion that composition of diet can affect body composition pretty significantly.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Unless one gets into who is insulin resistant and who isn't, criticisms of Taubes writing is pointless.

Taubes is correct that insulin is the fat storage hormone, and high carb diets raise insulin. For some people that matters, for some it doesn't. It depends on insulin resistance vs insulin sensitivity. It's not a matter of who can eat rice and who can't, or how much.

Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    Yes, but even in poverty when all you have available to eat is rice and lentils, even if at a normal weight (or underweight) it affects overall body composition (not much muscle tone, and a tendency to store fat around the belly, which you can see in many indian men, especially as they move past their twenties). Eating in caloric excess will lead to fat gain, but I think there's a lot of evidence showing that composition of diet can affect body composition pretty significantly.
    I was talking about how the stereotype started- Asians used to be too poor to get super-fat like Americans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast