Thread: Wheat Protein Isolate page

startbeingfit is offline Junior Member

Wheat Protein Isolate

Primal Fuel
    This weekend I was out searching for a lactose free protein powder. I ran across a product by Ultimate Nutrition that is a wheat protein isolate. The nutrition seems sound with 20g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fat, and 1g sugar.

I was curious what people though of this product. Being wheat based it doesnt sound very primal but at only 3g/carbs, I don't really see the harm. I have heard of side effects of consuming soy based protein products but what about wheat?

Thoughts or concerns on why I shouldn't use this?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Gluten is a wheat protein. It's likely a big tub of gluten, so a big tub of death. I would avoid it like the plague. I also wouldn't touch soy protein. There should be plenty of other options, though, they even have beef protein isolate now.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The problem with wheat is not the carbs, it's the proteins like Apex said. Animal-derived proteins are safest. Whey isolate should just be the proteins without any residual fats or sugars. If I'm wrong about that, check out egg protein. Apparently it's the gold standard for judging protein quality.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    What about the buckwheat proteins? There was one on the market a few years ago that was a great non-dairy alternative to whey, but it never really took off. Tasted great though.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Whey protein isolate is usually completely lactose free. True Protein has some different types that you can get. Here is an example: True Protein | High Quality Nutrition and Protein Supplements although this particular example isn't completely lactose free.
    Fuck wheat in all forms.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Is buckwheat a complete protein? I don't use powders anymore, when I did they were whey or casein. I'd use egg or beef probably before a non-animal protein, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Whey protein isolate is usually completely lactose free. True Protein has some different types that you can get. Here is an example: True Protein | High Quality Nutrition and Protein Supplements although this particular example isn't completely lactose free.
    Fuck wheat in all forms.
    Also- true protein is AWESOME.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Also- true protein is AWESOME.
    Agreed. You can get any flavor and sweetener you want in any protein type/mix of your choice and their prices are very reasonable.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Me_Grok is offline Junior Member
    I got some gemma pea protein from trueprotein as a non-dairy alternative to whey, but I haven't come up with a mix of ingredients to make it taste good yet. I find it just as easy and much more effective to just eat real food.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is probably the best non-dairy protein I've seen.

Healthy'N Fit Nutritionals 100% Egg Protein Heavenly Chocolate -- 2 lbs - Vitacost

It's the only one I see without artificial flavorings and sweeteners. This is 100% natural and uses stevia. It is 0g carbs, and the price is good for egg protein.

It also comes in vanilla and strawberry. I buy only natural whey protein and I wish I could find an ingredients list as good as this.

Other Ingredients: 100% pure extracted egg albumen (with a protein efficiency ratio (P.E.R.) of 3.9 or greater), enzymatic digest of egg albumen containing naturally occurring amino acids, cocoa, chocolate flavoring, vanilla flavoring, natural stevia herb and papain/bromelain (digestive enzymes).

Free Of: Cholesterol, soy protein, milk protein, gelatin fat, carbohydrate, sugar, starch and salt additives. All amino acids in this product are natural.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.