Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not hungry all the time page

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member

Not hungry all the time

Shop Now
    I keep posting questions and problems but right now I feel inspired to post a rave

The thing that amazes me most about eating primal is that I'm *not hungry all the time* anymore.

I used to just snack all day long. And if I didn't eat soon enough, I would get irritable. Now I go hours without eating. And when I do get hungry, it's ok. Instead of crankily going to a drive through so I don't bite someone's head off, I am easily able to just be hungry until I can find food. It's just normal hunger, not the overwhelming feeling (the shakiness, the irritability, the tiredness) I felt before.

And when I do get the food, I eat it normally instead of ravenously shoveling it in and going for more and more and more (til I gave myself a stomach ache) like I used to.

I went 5 1/2 hours without eating today. I was only hungry the last hour and it was fine. I just felt hungry. Not awful, not sick, not like I was going to pass out. Just hungry. I came home, got some food and ate it at a reasonable pace, not feeling like I had to shovel it in as fast as possible. This is just so amazing to me!

This is not will power or anything like that. Gah, I got that message often enough from the media! But no, I'm not weak willed. It's definitely something physical and there is obviously something that refined carbs do to me. I have friends who eat plenty of refined carbs who never acted like I did. They're all naturally thin too and I'm very much not so hey, maybe carbs don't affect everyone the same. But for me, the difference is amazing. I feel so much better and this is just barely 3 weeks eating this way.

This is so obviously the right way for me to eat.

Just feeling grateful I finally decided to go against what I was taught was healthy my whole life and finally try low carb (low carb is bad enough, but low carb high fat? What am I, trying to kill myself? )

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! The first person I turned on to primal suffered from horrible hunger when she didn't eat all the time.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    I am experiencing the same freedom from feeling like I "have to" eat ASAP when I get hungry, to prevent nuclear meltdown and consumption of mass quantities.

I used to say I felt like a shark-- I could eat any time of the day or night, always cruising for my next bite...
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like blood sugar stabilization to me! WTG!!!!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    ShannonCC,
    This is my favorite thing about going Primal. For the first time in my life I am not starving all the time. Sometimes on weekends I go from breakfast till dinnertime and forget to eat. That never happened to me in my entire life. It is very freeing to not feel tethered to food. I know exactly how you feel. It is great eh??

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I know exactly what you are talking about! I've always loved food, and I still do, but now I'm not constantly thinking about it, thinking about what and when I'm going to eat next, as soon as I finish a meal. Hunger is no longer a reason for panic, it's just...hunger.

One of the lines that struck me most when I read Why We Get Fat was something about not being fat because we are lazy and lack willpower, but we lack willpower and get lazy because we are fat. I really do think that it's not a matter of raw willpower, it's about eating the right foods and healing yourself. Willpower becomes moot.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

tumbleweed is offline Member
    I suffer from the shakes and panic, too, when I eat a CW diet. The primal way of eating has helped so much. And i LIKE being hungry before I eat because the food tastes so much better. I didn't used to be able to get that hungry without feeling sick, so this is nice.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Me too! I ate breakfast (a can of salmon) at 12:30pm today
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

MichaelH is offline Member
    Yeah, I can't believe this myself. I remember becoming an intolerable person when I would go for over 4 hours without food - it was ridiculous how irritable I would get. I would have stomach pains and become fixated on eating something. Now I can go for extended periods without discomfort.

It's apparent to me now that grains were wreaking havoc on my system. I was vegetarian in my teens, and I ate a ton of fake meats (loaded with wheat gluten), which probably didn't help.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Yes, after going primal/paleo, you will suffer less hunger. I fast everyday for 16-18 hours (sometimes 20 hours). I am not just not hungry during that time. My dinner is huge (about 1,200 calories), full of fat, and moderate protein/carbs. It really sustains me for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast