Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About 3 months into primal, getting BORED with this type of eating! page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

About 3 months into primal, getting BORED with this type of eating!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Background: I am wheat intolerant and may be celiac (never been tested, just eliminated wheat instead). I have some depression/anxiety and have experienced some, but certainly not total, relief from these symptoms while eating primal. Have been primal for 3+ months now.

Lately I have been missing chips/cereal/bread/tortillas/pretzels. Oh god, and beans! I could write a song about my love and longing for beans! Dinner was so easy when I ate these things even when they were gluten-free!

It is hard to eat among others and even myself when I have to say, "no dairy, no wheat/grains/corn, no sugar, no canola/veggie oil," and essentially NO FUN.

I have started to realize that food is a means to an end not a "fun thing to do on the couch on Friday nights." But boy, when the craving for pudding/cookies/cheesecake comes around that just doesn't sound that great anymore.

Even my mother is frustrated with what to cook for me when I am at her house every Sunday. She is by no means an unhealthy eater, either, and is a consumer of massive quantities of veggies and fruit.

I have added fermented dairy back into my life simply because, damn, if I don't have some indulgences I think I will just up and quit!

Any suggestions here, to help quiet my urge to give up? I ate two gluten-free pretzels the other night and just about slapped myself for doing so. I can stand occasional trips into sugar/dairy land, but feel extremely negligent when I eat grains.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Focus on what you can have, not what you can't. Find more things that you do like, and enjoy those. It's not meant to be a grind.

With time, it will all become habit. Do you get "bored" brushing your teeth every night? Do you get "bored" taking showers? Of course not, it's all habit.

Good luck, and hang in there.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Since when was dairy not part of PB? I eat cheese pretty much everyday.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    Think of food as fuel to survive instead of pleasure

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Primal does allow dairy. Eat some cheeeeese.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a list of things you consider primal 'treats'? For me, a nice salty deluxe nut mix (macadamias, cashews, almonds, and pistachios) does the trick most times.

I'm 10 weeks into this and haven't got bored yet. And I hope it doesn't happen because I really like where I'm headed.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I agree on focusing on what you can have. Maybe pick up the quick and easy cook book or an other cook book to get some new ideas.

I like to think of my way of eating as an "upgrade".

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What are you goals in eating primal? If you feel good and don't need to lose a lot of weight, maybe you can add in some primal baking? I see tons of great recipes for substitutes that sound great. The few I have tried have been really good...primal cookies, waffles, breads, etc. Even if you have some weight to lose, a little bit of those things here and there won't be a huge issue.

Also - maybe you should branch out on your recipes some more so you don't get bored. There are tons of amazing primal cooking blogs with great food on them....in addition to the primal baking.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    What are you eating? You might need to develop your cooking skills so you can find meals that you can enjoy time and time again.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'd also like to add that this may be temporary. I have been primal for 8 months. The vast majority of the time I am blown away by the bounty available to me with this WOE. Every now and then I go through a short phase where I am sick to death of the food I'm eating. It always passes. I usually find a few new recipes to throw in to the mix around then.
    Last edited by jammies; 05-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast