Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: night eating page

patchooli is offline Member

night eating

i was wondering if anyone has issues with eating at night. after dinner i seem to get an almost unendurable impulse to eat despite not being hungry. i've tried to get around it by eating sunflower seeds, since they require a lot of work to eat and they keep my hands and mouth busy. but, i'd like to just be satisfied after dinner the way i am after breakfast and lunch.

any thoughts?

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I find when I'm rummaging thru the fridge and cabinets that I'm actually bored... Then I go do some reading, meditation, small set of push ups, squats or pull-ups.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I like ELCO14's viewpoint. Try going for a walk if you feel that you've eaten enough. I'll bet your appetite is diminshed soon.

otzi Guest
    Once I made a conscious decision to not eat anything between supper at 5pm and breakfast at 11am, it made evening snacking more bearable. The desire to eat is still there, down deep, but I can keep it at bay now. I gained 50lbs in 5 years by eating non-stop from the time I got home from work until I went to bed:
    ie, snack...supper...dessert...leftovers...something salty...something sweet...more salt...more sweet...something healthy (hmmm nuts!)...peanut butter!...now something salty...OK, time for bed.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    I find when I'm rummaging thru the fridge and cabinets that I'm actually bored... Then I go do some reading, meditation, small set of push ups, squats or pull-ups.
    I agree with this 100%. If you are busy doing something productive such as reading a book, taking a walk outside, meditating or anything of that nature, then you are much less likely to eat when you are not hungry.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Yep, that sounds like boredom more than anything. I never just sit and watch TV, I usually knit or fold laundry or something so I won't want to munch on something.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    It may be emotional eating - perhaps try tuning into your feelings and seeing if there is something behind the feeling to eat. Sometimes for me wanting to eat all the time can mean I am anxious about something.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I have a problem with this too. It's a habit to eat out of boredom, or as a way to feel like you're unwinding from the day. Better to distract yourself with something else, though I find that the rare times I'm home at night and feel like watching TV or reading, I want to be snacking while I do it

patchooli is offline Member
    it doesn't seem to matter what i'm doing. even if i'm out and engaged in something, i can't stop thinking about eating something. it's the most bizarre thing. the best i can do is to try to keep myself busy, or choose things that have low calories/carbs and take a lot of effort to eat.

i have so many hormonal issues that i can't help but wonder if it has something to do with that. imbalanced cortisol or melatonin? i don't know.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Or it could be a digestive issue or a food sensitivity. Sometimes those can feel like hunger. You could try taking digestive enzymes. Or make a food diary and track it to see if certain foods are triggering it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast