Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Addict- Trying to Control Carb Cravings page

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member

Sugar Addict- Trying to Control Carb Cravings

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm new to MDA after lurking a while; read the book, got the cookbook, after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories. I'm a sugar addict, have been my whole life. My mom, like lots of mom, even gave me sugar water in a bottle as a baby, so that set me off for a life of sugar and carb cravings. Now I eat very low carbs, grass fed meat when I can, and sugar is Enemy #1. I follow a pretty high fat diet, on the lines of the Kasniewski Optimal Diet, but not using any grain-based foods. Even after nearly a year on low carb, I still struggle with carb cravings if I eat even a little too much fruit or starchy vegetables. I knew this junkie at college who said if he had the veins for it, he would shoot H all day long; I feel the same way about carbs. He died shooting up (a med-student no less!), but I don't want to die from modern diseases of SAD like lots of my family have the last 2-3 generations.
    So, can you share with me if you found it took a long time to get past sugar/carb-cravings, too?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome! I have to watch carbs of all kinds, and don't know if it will ever be the case I don't; but, regardless, it is a better way to go as you have acknowledged. I know that things that used to not taste sweet, like lettuce, do to me now. Practice no doubt does make it get easier.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Wenona1975 is offline Member
    I heard on one of Sean Croxton's shows that getting over sugar cravings can take up to about 5 years.

One thing you can try is pressing on acupressure points on each arm, located midway lengthwise and widthwise, when you hit the spot it will hurt. Press the point on each arm and the immediate craving should go away.

here's a different point to use -
    Getting Rid Of Sugar Cravings With Acupressure

Quote Originally Posted by Wenona1975 View Post
    I heard on one of Sean Croxton's shows that getting over sugar cravings can take up to about 5 years.

One thing you can try is pressing on acupressure points on each arm, located midway lengthwise and widthwise, when you hit the spot it will hurt. Press the point on each arm and the immediate craving should go away.

here's a different point to use -
    Getting Rid Of Sugar Cravings With Acupressure
    I don't know anything about acupressure. Is it the top or underside of the arm?

Wenona1975 is offline Member
    the top/outside of the arm

I'm feeling a kind of calm acceptance that's new for me. I'm convinced that longings, acknowledged or not, for comfort foods, or whatever may be the positive feelings, kept me thinking I could "have a little" but clearly I can't. It must be nice for those who can have fruit and veggies without concern, but it's not me, so no use fighting it. So I finally just told myself: There it is, suck it up, live with it. It could be a lot worse.

Welcome SugarBaby! It great to hear that you're starting to feel an acceptance of the way things are for you. That's half the battle right there. I also have noticed that things that weren't sweet before now are (eggplant for example). Getting rid of all that junk food really does start to change your taste buds!

Calibunny is offline Member
    Hi Sugar Baby (love that name!) - I am a total sugar addict, and have to watch myself 24/7, even after 2 months of PB. If i see a really sugary cake or pastry on TV or in a movie I go crazy inside, like I want to just grab it and wolf it down. The movie Bridesmaids had a cupcake scene that just about did me in. i wanted that cupcake SO BAD, I would have killed for it. I'm sure that I will have this addiction my whole life, much like an alcoholic can not even have one drink. I am noticing that I'm starting to treat fruit the way i used to treat sugary sweets, so I have to watch that now too, and only have it once a day, if that. Sugar is a powerful drug, probably like heroin.

Anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone!

Does it help at all to be conscious of how crappy you feel afterwards (if you feel crappy at all)? I know that helps me. A local cafe recently started reserving gluten-free cookies and muffins. One day I almost grabbed one, but after a couple of minutes the carving passed and I decided on the pear I had with me instead.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    SB: I have really struggled with sugar cravings. In the past I would be good for a couple weeks and "forget" (like surgery pain, etc), but since I started graphically journaling how I feel each day along with writing what I eat in my Livestrong account, it became much clearer. I think the hardest part has been accepting that "good" carbs like many fruits and veg can cause the cravings, though I don't get that horrible sick feeling I do when I've indulged in wedding cake.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast