Thread: Was vegan for 5 years, and semi vegetarian since childhood newly paleo. page

xempirex is offline Junior Member

Was vegan for 5 years, and semi vegetarian since childhood newly paleo.

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

im a recent apostate of veganism,I am 21 years old, after many many MANY health issues, including a 40lb weight gain in a span of less than 2 years, ( even though i was eating moderately healthy in vegan terms ( no fat, no refined sugar or carbs, whole grains, organic vegetables and fruits)

i tried my best to cure my ailments with a plant based diet, since almost every vegan i knew or met praised the benefits of veganism, in my first several years as a vegan i did feel great, but in my last year ( circa summer 2010) i was sleepless, always lethargic and moody and topping the scales at 210lbs cholesterol was almost 230. my body especially in the final 6 months of me being vegan, couldn't function on eating a lot of grains and carbohydrates. I knew then that this lifestyle wasnt for me.

after much debate and alot of research and reading alot of stuff by mark, starting january 2011 I decide to adhere to a locavore paleo diet,( i am an individual who is very concerned for the environment and eating locally is far better than eating vegan) it was hard socially for people to accept my new lust for flesh, but it was a lust for nutrients and minerals that my body were lacking.

almost 5 months since i made the decision to go paleo,

-ive lost 75lbs
    -my acne has disappeared
    -I am no longer depressed or tired all the time.
    - my life finally feels more convenient

thank you for reading

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I am glad you have made the decision to come back to normal human food!! Wow, you have seen some major improvements in your life. Congratulations! Can I ask your reason for going vegan in the first place?

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Glad to have you on board.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Hooray for you! And especially for having the wit to work this out some 16 years earlier in life than I did . (I put on a lot of flab while eating 'healthily', too. Odd, isn't it?)

my history with plant based eating goes a long way, My mom considered herself a "liberal christian", & became 7th day adventist by marriage about 10 years before I was born, ( some 7th day adventists adhere to a certain way of eating) however she did eat kosher meat, but when she moved to california there wasn't an availability back then, so she decided on vegetarianism and by the time I was born she was pretty militant about her way of eating, she was one of those liberal " granola moms" (like vegans, they can be the most annoying self righteous people on the planet).
    I remember her telling me every christmas that how can we celebrate the prince of peace, with a meal consisting of torture?

Plant based eating was pretty much pushed on me since childhood, the only time i ate meat & Dairy was when i visited my grandparents.

Im glad that way of eating is behind me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Hooray for you! And especially for having the wit to work this out some 16 years earlier in life than I did . (I put on a lot of flab while eating 'healthily', too. Odd, isn't it?)
    what kind of way of life were you adhering too? im assuming alot of carbohydrates!

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing. I am fascinated by those that have made such a complete change of direction and the success you have had.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by xempirex View Post
    my history with plant based eating goes a long way, My mom considered herself a "liberal christian", & became 7th day adventist by marriage about 10 years before I was born, ( some 7th day adventists adhere to a certain way of eating) however she did eat kosher meat, but when she moved to california there wasn't an availability back then, so she decided on vegetarianism and by the time I was born she was pretty militant about her way of eating, she was one of those liberal " granola moms" (like vegans, they can be the most annoying self righteous people on the planet).
    I remember her telling me every christmas that how can we celebrate the prince of peace, with a meal consisting of torture?

Plant based eating was pretty much pushed on me since childhood, the only time i ate meat & Dairy was when i visited my grandparents.

Im glad that way of eating is behind me now!
    Having done vegetarianism and veganism, I came to realize how silly it all is, and as I've previously written: Vegans and vegetarians live in a fool's paradise if they believe by not eating animal products they are doing something good and non-violent. My family were all farmers, or fruit growers--my father was the last of several generations of orchardists. There is no growing of fruit, veg, that does not cause death to creatures, or loss of habitat, or is free of all insects, or microbes that they think is just related to protein foods. Unless they are finding all their food in the wild (and they are not!), then it is simply gross ignorance on the one hand, and dangerous health fanaticism on the other. Further, as I've mentioned in other threads, drop some vegans on a desert island and see how long they will remain vegan; they will eat any living thing they can get their hands on just like our evolutionary ancestors.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism