Thread: Potato Preparation page

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

Potato Preparation

Primal Fuel
    I've been wondering a lot since reading the posts on wholehealthsource about potato toxins (glycoalkaloids) and how traditional cultures prepared potatoes. I always peel mine since learning about the toxins, but I wonder just out of curiosity if traditional potato consuming cultures did the same (like Peruvians - I'm looking at you iniQuity!!). It seems like peeling tons of small potatoes would be a pretty loathsome job, but I guess if that IS your job, it's not as bad. I also just learned about salt potatoes this morning and read a comment by someone that putting dry potatoes in salt can pull out alkaloid juices. Anyone have lots of knowledge on this subject?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The skins on cooked potatoes slip out rather easily; just let them cool down first!

Thanks for the tip Andrea. I'm usually too impatient to let them cool long enough and end up burning my fingertips a little if I do peel after cooking. I'll try peeling them after cooking next time instead of the other way around.

otzi Guest
    I saw where a traditional way of eating potatoes in South America was to dry the potatoes in the sun, then grind up the dried starchy flesh and mix it with other foods or rehydrate it with milk or water to make a porridge. I'll bet if you did that, the skins would dry up and be easily seperated from the starch.
    I'd imagine something like this had to be done because they had no way to keep potatoes fresh during the winter. Potatoes can be stored for a long time, but not a whole year unless you have a really awesome root cellar or mechanical cooling means. Drying them would enable indefinite storage.

I was recently gifted with some small potatoes (most no longer than my thumb). They are multi-colored: some brown, some purple, some reddish. I don't know what variety(s?) they are. Because of their small size, they will be a real pain to peel. Should I bother? Will the glycoalkaloids kill me? I'm leaning towards cooking them and then trying to slip the skins off as recommended by Andrea above, but is it worth the trouble?

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like there have been zero cases of of toxicity from glycoalkaloids in potatoes in the U.S. in the last 50 years. Wild potatoes are much more toxic, so those little ones mentioned by yodiewan could be more problematic. The amount in cultivated potatoes is very low, but cut off any green areas.

I've eaten potatoes (skins and all) for many many years without problems as I grew up being told the skin is where the bulk of the nutrients are.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat everything also