Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian options ? page

leolady is offline Junior Member

Vegetarian options ?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all
    Any Vegetarians out there found a way to try this diet ?

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I do it all the time, tofu and sprouts are my daily staples...
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yes. It's called realizing that vegetarianism is a great way to kill yourself slowly, with lots of illnesses that could be prevented if you ate what humans evolved to eat, and eating real food like meat and eggs.

Go read The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Yes. It's called realizing that vegetarianism is a great way to kill yourself slowly, with lots of illnesses that could be prevented if you ate what humans evolved to eat, and eating real food like meat and eggs.

Go read The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith.
    +1

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leolady View Post
    Hi all
    Honestly its not a diet, its a whole lifestyle. You could incorporate a vegetarian diet into the lifestyle but your results will not be as positive if you were to actually accept eating meat. If you are a moral vegetarian, I agree that reading the Veg myth is a good start to begin to understand the fallacy of the argument. If you think it is just way more healthy then perhaps you ought to look around at your other veg friends and ask yourself how many of them are truely healthy. There are essentail nutrients in meat that your body has adapted to over several thousand years that are only found in animal products. There has never been a historically vegetarian culture that has survived more than a few thousand years at best. Grok has surviived at least 30,000 years and is still going strong. That ought to tell you something. While I am not telling you that your choice is going to cause you to die tomorrow or next week, it just doesn't make sense from an anthrpological perspective that a vegetarian diet is all that good for you over your lifespan. I know a lot of vegetarians, but I know a lot more former vegetarians. Its a free country and you can eat whatever you want, just don't expect to be as healthy as you have the potential to be while chosing to eat veg.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, the two aren't really compatible. If you're willing to compromise on fish/shellfish, it becomes much more doable.

What about this way of eating appeals to you? What are your reasons for being vegetarian?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leolady View Post
    Hi all
    I'm not, and I don't think that the Primal Blueprint really has a vegetarian version. However, if you're prepared to eat some non-vegetable products—meaning essentially eggs, cheese, and butter—you can probably do all right. There will probably be some nutrients that you need to supplement, importantly, vitamin B12. You might need to watch vitamin A, too—one reason to eat butter from real grass-fed animals (and liver for the rest of us). Vitamin A only occurs in animal products: there's a precursor to A in some plant foods (viz. beta-carotene), but it needs to be converted in the body and not everyone can do that well. And iron, of course: you'd want to make sure you ate some iron-rich foods. if you're avoiding meat (because you don't eat it), and cereals and pulses (because the Primal Blueprint frowns on those), and possibly molasses, too (because it's sugary), I don't think that leaves much iron-rich food—I guess there's spinach.

There have been healthy isolated populations that ate most of the animal products they consumed in the form of cheese and butter*. However, none of those populations ate no meat at all.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    if you are already eating seafood, eggs and raw dairy, it is completely possible. PB focuses mainly on healthy vegetables, good fats (including animal fat), protein, and ditching legumes and grains.

Reading the book or some blog posts would be a good place to start. They have a lot of good advice to offer about health above and beyond what variety of protein you eat.

Once you investigate vegetarianism from a nutritional, ethical, community health and land-health perspective, you may find that local, pastured meat is a better all-around choice than farmed chinese seafood, soy or beans. Good luck!

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Vegetarian in what sense? Ovo-pescatarian? That is possible I suppose. There are times of the year that I am nearly vegan for a number of religious reasons. Staying away from animal products is a means to an end though and not an end in itself. During those periods I consume plenty of coconut and coconut milk along with brown rice protein powder. It is manageable for periods of time, but it doesn't seem to me like a sustainable choice in any way. I'm with Griff.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Being a vegetarian who sometimes eats (insert animal product) is like being a virgin who sometimes has sex. There is not a middle ground. You either ARE a vegetarian or you ARE NOT.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast