Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal >> Belinda's boring, but successful journey page

belinda is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal >> Belinda's boring, but successful journey

Primal Fuel
    I thought that I wouldn't do a journal because I lead a pretty boring life and who wants to read about that.

But, maybe there are people out there who live boring lives and think they can't lose weight because they can't diet successfully, or they can't exercise because of this or that. Pshaw and Phooey! I say, and here's why...

(I hope you have a few minutes, otherwise, maybe take a nap and skip to the end.)

In December, 15 or 16 of us at work decided we would do a Biggest Loser contest starting in January running to the end of March. Each person put in $20. I started January 1 weighing 186.8 lbs and eating a conventional weight loss diet: lots of greenery, apples, low fat tv dinners and 100 calorie packages of cookies. Sigh...

I lost 6 lbs in January and another 5 lbs in February, but I knew that wasn't enough to win, and I was still feeling crappy with GERD, gas, bloating, etc. On another blog I go to, someone mentioned eating a Primal diet and I had no idea what that was so I googled it and found MDA and the Primal Blueprint 101.

I started following the PB WOE on March 1st. The first week or so, I was still having the occasional english muffin with peanut butter, silly stuff like that, but it only took 3 days to go from having 4 or 5 tums a day to ZERO. So, I cut out the crap and never looked back.

By the end of March, I was down an additional 7.2 lbs and took home a hard-earned $160 from my co-workers

My eating plan is pretty simple - I'm not one for fancy recipes, lots of sauces or spices. I like good, wholesome food that goes well with butter!

An average day's meal and exercise plan looks something like this:

Breakfast (around 9-10:00 - about a 16 hr overnight fast)
    2 or 3 eggs scrambled in butter
    2-3 slices of bacon or other meat

Lunch (walk/sprint) for 20-30 minutes, then eat)
    4-6 oz protein - usually chicken thighs, can of tuna, salmon, or sardines, maybe a hamburger (plain)
    2 cups of mixed greens
    half an avocado
    2-3 tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette (homemade)

Dinner
    4-6 oz protein with 1-2 cups of vegetables or mixed greens
    frozen or fresh berries with 1/2 cup coconut milk

Evening exericse - 20 minutes on the recumbent bike while watching tv.

Snackie bits - if I need it: 1-2 tbsp creamed coconut (manna), 1/4 cup mixed nuts, a small handful of pork rinds, or half an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter

Drinks are black coffee, water, or unsweetened chai tea. Once in a while I have a cup of decaf tea with half a tsp of sugar and a splash of milk as a treat. And, believe me, it tastes like a treat

I've been doing bodyweight exercises: squats, wall or girlie pushups, dips, planks - nothing too extreme - and just bought a set of dumbbells so I can work on more muscle toning.

Now, here's the good news! As of this morning, sticking to this plain and simple plan, I'm down a total of 25 pounds! I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel and my goal of 145 by the end of the year seems totally do-able. It never did before.

For a 48 year-old, perimenopausal woman who sits at a desk 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, I think this is pretty freaking amazing!

I love not starving and hearing people's breath draw in when I tell them I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Metta is offline Senior Member
    "Only" 488 posts and you finally start a journal!

I hope you treated yourself to something nice with that $160!!

I'm in the 'slow and steady wins the race' group of journalizers.

I think I spent the money at the grocery store. Meat & produce ain't cheap you know!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    For a 48 year-old, perimenopausal woman who sits at a desk 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, I think this is pretty freaking amazing!
    Me too (well, 46), and...me too!
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    $160? That's great! Talk about validation.

Grats on the 25 lb lost so far. It's refreshing to hear someone talk about "end of the year" and not the same ol' short-term CW-style goals of "next month" or whatnot.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    So great that you started a journal!

Patience has definitely been my key.

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Grats on the 25 lb lost so far. It's refreshing to hear someone talk about "end of the year" and not the same ol' short-term CW-style goals of "next month" or whatnot.
    OUCH!!!!

That's gonna leave a mark.

Lunch today was a chunk of 95% primal meat loaf and about 1.5 cups of steamed cauliflower and asparagus. I had made enough meatloaf to have 3 or 4 lunches this week but it was coming out of the oven just as DH came home starved from his friend's place yesterday so it ended up being supper instead, but I did mark off a small piece for today.

Funny story... DH has always done most of our supper cooking. He eats the meatloaf and says "I've always loved meatloaf." We've been together 12 years and never, ever, had meatloaf!

Did my noon activities in the parking garage today because it's really wet out. 1 lap walking, 3 laps walking with 2 sprint intervals each lap, 1 lap walking cool down. I feel good!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    Me too (well, 46), and...me too!
    Me three! (44, sitting at a desk all day, peri-menopause)

So glad you finally started a journal Belinda!
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

liminal_luke is offline Member
    Congratulations on your loss Belinda! Thatīs wonderful. Love the title of your journal, so eye-catching, but Iīve got to say, itīs just not true--thereīs nothing boring about success.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast