Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with le Rippertoes page

Pandadude is offline Senior Member

Help with le Rippertoes

Hey looking for some advice on starting strength, long background story coming up . After doing crossfit for 6 months and having my brother teach me the basics of the lifts I felt like I was really knowledgable and made my own program (lul). Was later inspired by the starting strength routine but still ended up doing something different aka "Hah! I laugh at your 30 years of training experience!". It ended up being something like..

Day 1 back squat, bench press/behind the neck press (3x5), hang cleans (5x3) and day 2 zercher/front squats, deadlift (deadlifts also 3 work sets), chins/barbell rows.. Not a terrible routine, but still some abundant stuff in there, and after watching some body by science videos I also reduced my frequency to just two workouts a week. Recently stalled most of my lifts and realized I should just do starting strength properly to reach my short term goals of 1.5xbodyweight squat and deadlift and 1xbodyweight bench (im 85 kg atm).

NOW THE DILEMNA: Done 2 training sessions one saturday and one monday on the original SS novice routine, and despite my saturday session being fairly light (squat -20kg than my wide stance max, powerclean from ground mostly getting the technique down -10kg of my hang clean, press -10 of my BTN max), I couldn't do the monday session properly; could only deadlift 120x2 reps when I'd done 115 for 1x5+2x3 the last session, and could only bench 70 for 3 reps when I'd done 70x5x3 previously.

THE SOLUTION? Should I do a reset on all my lifts, and if yes how much should I take off the bar? Do I have to do GOMAD to sustain linear progression 3 times a week? Bikini season coming up and don't want to increase my squat 15kg if it requires me putting on 5kg of fat (would barely be worth it relatively). Would like to hear general experiences with the program aswell, and I think I'll put up some form check videos for my powerlifts the next time I have a m8 in the gym to film it.

dado Guest
    How did you feel on Monday, were you still very sore? Perhaps an additional day of rest would have helped.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you post this on the Starting Strength forum? Rippetoe himself will answer you.

Gordo

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    If Rip answers, I'd be interested in what he says. I would be reset by dropping the weight ~20%. Linear progression is powerful, and you want to wring every last bit out of it before going to more advanced programming.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't sore monday (today lol) but just seemed like my strength was down 10%.
    I haven't bought Starting Strength but just read the wiki and the forums. I believe I have a good understanding of how the lifts are performed aswell so I am not planning on buying the book, which is why I think it would be unfair to try and get rippertoe to answer my questions.

Aanyways I think the sensible thing to do is a hard reset since I haven't "actually" been doing the program correctly, but I'm just reluctant to reduce all my lifts lol, and I'd rather do a 10% lift decrease. I think several of my lifts have stalled due to a sudden increase in training frequency (+ I never really moved into microloading because I can never find the 1.25 kg plates so I was doing 5kg increases from workout to workout, albeit only once a week) which definately sucks for anything but the squat and deadlift! On the other hand this is going to persist even after I reset...

I was concerned about my squat because the lowbar position and looking down was causing my hips to raise faster than my shoulders and cause a slight goodmorning. According to this video he doesn't object to it: YouTube - Zach #320 x 5 x 5 Squats

Another thing I just thought about (ah yes, love overthinking) Is just doing a 10% drop and starting on the advanced novice program now (without linear progression) since my current lifts are only 17, 12 and 8% off my current powerlifting goals.

I've read most everything Rip's published. 20% was about the minimum I thought would be productive(men usually hate reducing their lifts)- he'd likely recommend more, probably much more. Remember that linear progression is intended to be easy at first. You are programming your muscles- he touches on it in SS, but covers it much more in Practical Programming. Also-using 5kg jumps is setting yourself up for sadness. Hope that helps.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

If it were me, I'd buy the book and follow it. Your situation (not a newbie, but still with the possibility of novice gains using linear progression) is described in SS, and also in PP. Buy one, buy both, but read it. Reading the wiki and the forum is no substitute. Or, don't do SS, but don't say you are following SS.

I'd personnally drop at least 20% or more and start from there. Sure, you'll have a few easy weeks, but then you'll bust through the plateau. I haven't hit the plateau yet, but I suspect one is in my future given how heavy the weights feel now. It's part of the program. Drop 20% and you'll make it up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

If it were me, I'd buy the book and follow it. Your situation (not a newbie, but still with the possibility of novice gains using linear progression) is described in SS, and also in PP. Buy one, buy both, but read it. Reading the wiki and the forum is no substitute. Or, don't do SS, but don't say you are following SS.

I'd personnally drop at least 20% or more and start from there. Sure, you'll have a few easy weeks, but then you'll bust through the plateau. I haven't hit the plateau yet, but I suspect one is in my future given how heavy the weights feel now. It's part of the program. Drop 20% and you'll make it up over time.
    +1

Hadn't read that Rip article before- it should be stickied.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    If Rip were to answer this he'd probably say "You've only done 2 sessions and you're already asking questions about resetting. Just follow the programme for an appreciable length of time and then, if you're still having problems, ask again."

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coach: You are correct in how he'd answer, but he'd also drop a few f-bombs and some choice words about whether PandaDude is really a whiny 13 year old girl. It's part of Rip's charm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast