Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping beef in room temperature page

norak is offline Senior Member

Keeping beef in room temperature

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondering, is it safe to store a vacuum sealed steak in room temperature (15-20C) for 9-10 hours before cooking?

The reason I ask is because I would like my steaks to warm up before cooking, but I don't have the time to wait for that when I get home from work. Thus, I was thinking maybe I could take it out of the fridge before I leave in the morning instead. Anyone else doing this?

cassel_man is offline Member
    Why risk it? If you want your steaks to come to room temperature faster, use a water bath. Water transfers heat much better than air. Works great for speed defrosting, and if you use tepid water, I figure you can warm your meat up without cooking it as well.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    That could be a botulism risk.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I second the water bath suggestion. Submerge the vacuum packs in warm water for 5-10 minutes, and your steaks will warm up nicely. I did this last night with some cold 1.25" Delmonico steaks, and it worked fabulously.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Are the steaks frozen? I throw frozen steaks in the sink to thaw and leave them all day, never had a botulism or other problem and they are perfect, still cool, but close to room temperature by the time dinner comes around. Personally though, I haven't noticed a difference between cooking a room temperature steak and a cold one from the fridge.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Me three on water bath. There is no good reason to leave something out all day.

I do the same with frozen fish. Seems to work fine.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Personally though, I haven't noticed a difference between cooking a room temperature steak and a cold one from the fridge.
    Depends on how much you're cooking them I've found it really makes a difference is if you like your steaks on the rare side. Otherwise, you can wind up with a perfectly seared outside and a cold inside. Personally, I want the blood coming out of my steak to be warm.

Oh yeah, and botulism is more of a concern with preserved and fermented foods - I'd be more worried about e coli with steak.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Depends on how much you're cooking them I've found it really makes a difference is if you like your steaks on the rare side. Otherwise, you can wind up with a perfectly seared outside and a cold inside. Personally, I want the blood coming out of my steak to be warm.

Oh yeah, and botulism is more of a concern with preserved and fermented foods - I'd be more worried about e coli with steak.
    It can grown in any anaerobic environment so the assumption vacuum sealed means less risk goes out the window. Canned and Fermented goods are just the usual ones you hear about. But I think leaving de-thawed meat at room temperature for 9-10 hours, then eating(even cooked to the level to destroy the toxin) would fall under "Avoid stupid mistakes, Use Your Brain, and twisted into Avoid Poisonous Things".

If you cooked meat to that level it would be better used as a Skeet or Trap pigeon.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    If it's from the fridge then do a warm water bath. If it's frozen then feel free to leave it out all day.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    The steaks are not frozen, Just cold from the fridge. I eat my steaks rare, so that's why room temperature meat works best. I'll try the warm water trick and see how it turns out. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast