Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Primal Prattle page

liminal_luke is offline Member

The Primal Prattle

Hi folks!

Ok, enough with the research (reading about the benefits of low-carb living over an almond latte and cinnamon roll)--its time for action. Going to go 100% primal for the next 21 days. Thats how long Mark says it takes to convert to fat burning mode in his recent interview with Dr. Mercola. A little bit about me. Im 45, hypertensive (on two different medicines longterm that Id really like not to need anymore), and about 211 pounds. Forty-five isnt old, but it feels old. I notice myself feeling a little stiff when I sit down in the shower. Not good. No doubt it says something about my slothful ways that I cant even motivate myself to stand up to bathe. Ahum. Never mind though, Ill start in on some form of primal exercise later...just let me have a go at this 21 day dietary challenge first. Tomorrow is day one. Ill let yaall know how it goes...

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm 46 and started a week ago, so I'm rooting for you!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Yeah! A reply...I love replies! Thanks for the rooting support RitaRose. I can certainly use all the rooting I can get especially from my natural cohorts--midforties primal newbie writer types who share my penchant for alliterative handles. Its silly and its narcissistice but its true: now that Ive started my career as an MDA journalist I like to imagine that I have a broad and international readership that takes an apt interest in what Im making for breakfast. So if youre teetering on the edge undecided whether or not to reply let me give you that little push. Itll make my day.

For my first primal breakfast Im fixing bacon (duh!). Also some nopales otherwise known as cactus, a pretty common staple here in Zacatecas, Mexico. Usualliy I buy them already cut into strips, but yesterday I scored some whole paddles at the farmers market. Im cooking them whole for the rustic visual appeal. Nopales help control blood sugar and are thus good for diabetics, a disease I dont presently suffer from though its high on my list of things to worry about. You can buy capsules of dried cactus here in health food stores. To round out the meal Im going to fry me up an egg.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome funny guy!

Mark says 80% of your changes will come from diet and 20% from exercise. Maybe to start with, your 20% can be standing up in the shower.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Ah Belinda, you slave driver you! Stand up in the shower? Im not sure if Im ready for that yet. Thanks for the warm welcome though.

If my scale can be believed, I lost two pounds yesterday. This in spite of my midnight indulgence with my insomniac partner, yet another plate of bacon and eggs. Stayed up till three in the morning reading a thread on here about the "Perfect Health Diet," and how we really should be eating white rice and potatoes afterall. Oh, and those omega-3 fatty fish capsules youve been downing, not a good idea. Kind of frustrating. I get the idea that nobody really knows what the perfect diet is, or maybe there isnt a one size fits all one anyway. Not being a biochemist Im unlikely to figure it out myself. While theres still some controversy about various starches at least the experts do seem to agree on somethings: snickers bars and dorritos are out. Bummer.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Other than the sugar content, maybe you could justify an almond Mounds bar ... dark chocolate, almonds, coconut... what's not to like

Nooooooo.... don't do it!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Oh! Years ago, my ex's dad was told to lower his cholesterol by eating foods lower in cholesterol. I had to show him how lame that was because, according to his rules, a 3 Musketeers candy bar was just fine. It said so right on the label!

So yes, you can justify a candy bar, if you think fat-free is the way to go. Scary.

Liminal, it sounds like you have a great attitude, and that's half the battle!

Keep it up!

And yes, you will eventually have to stand in the shower!

(way too many exclamation points - but I really mean it!)

RitaRose, RitaRose, RitaRose....of course you are right--more physical activity has just got to be part of my program, eventually. No more leaning against the kitchen cabinets when I do dishes so I dont have to support my whole body weight. No more preferring to read at home rather than Starbucks (ewww, I know) so that I can lie down rather than sit. Its not as if Im really sick or anything. I could get out and move my body, Id just rather not. As it happens, "eventually" is already on the calendar. As soon as I finish this initial 21 day dietary challenge I plan on adding in the exercise component: walking 10,000 steps a day with my pedometer, bodyweights exercises, even sprints--the works.

In the meantime Im holding firm to my regimen. I joke but so far candy bars havent been much of a temptation although I did almost give in last night to a sweet tamale. My partner was waving it in front of my nose and making "emmm" noises. The dietary tweak Im considering is cutting down on the protein a little. Liminal_luke cant live on bacon and eggs alone, or can he? Opinions vary, but Im thinking upping the veggies cant hurt. Might even go out for sushi to finally answer the question, is rice a gateway drug?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't cave already!

Honestly, the cravings will disappear (or at least be beaten into submission), but not if you give a little here and a little there.

Stay strong and it will get easier! And your partner gets a finger wag for tempting you with something you shouldn't be having...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast