Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chebe Pizza Crust page 2

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That stuff looks GOOD.

Weird, their web site says my health food co-op carries it, but I was just there last night volunteering, and I looked around the baking mixes and didn't see it. They also say the major grocery store has it, so I'll have to check.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    your HFS probably has it in their catalog, but maybe hasn't carried it for a while? put in a request, i bet they'd order some for you!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This looks really delicious. I have a bunch of grated manioc in the freezer. Any thoughts on turning it in to a pizza crust? Would I need to dry it to make a flour? Or could I just add egg and oil and try baking it?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I got a bag and made pizza for my roommate's kids. The stuff smelled good baking, before we even put anything on it. It was GOOD! The kids and adults loved it.

I probably ate too much of it, as I miss pizza and it was soooooo good. I would suggest adding the grated parmesean - it turned out really well.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    the crust was more of a NY-style than chicago. it's not nearly as chewy as a real pizza, but as you can see the dough really held up. as a nice touch, brush a little oil on the crust before you bake it (i didn't).
    That looks pretty good for a non-wheat pizza. Just a suggestion: try taking the baking mix and adding a teaspoon of xanthan gum and a teaspoon of whey protein to it if you have it on hand. That should help build the "structure" that you normally see in wheat-based crusts from the gluten and add a little bit of chewiness to it.

Man, I'd kill for a pizza crust. I still have a few pounds of vital wheat gluten on hand from back in the days where I didn't know how awful it was for you. I thought higher gluten was better. More protein, less carbs, haha. I used to bake them all the time by fermenting a cup of whole wheat flour into sourdough, then adding bread flour and extra wheat gluten. Man, I can make a hell of a pizza crust. I have oven bricks, a pizza peel, the whole deal. One day I'll break down and just go for it. I wonder if fermenting pizza dough makes the wheat less toxic? I never had digestion issues from my sourdough pizza crust. Skinless pizza doughs beat my gut up way more than wheat pizza crust. When my crusts were raw, they would smell like straight up beer.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-24-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That looks pretty good for a non-wheat pizza. Just a suggestion: try taking the baking mix and adding a teaspoon of xanthan gum and a teaspoon of whey protein to it if you have it on hand. That should help build the "structure" that you normally see in wheat-based crusts from the gluten and add a little bit of chewiness to it.
    that's an idea, but i'm happy enough with it as it is.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I made mine a little too thin so it was pretty flimsy.

I'm going to try again this weekend but make it about 2/3rds the size.

Either way, it was delicious.

i'm bummed; i ordered a case of these (they're wholesale that way) and apparently the warehouse is out of stock. *pouty face* oh well...

kevingeary is offline Senior Member
    Just a side note: one pizza has almost 170g of carbs (and it's not a very big pizza).

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    From experience of making Brazilian Bread Balls from sour starch and cheese, you can get some chewiness into the mix by not cooking through quite so fully. The sour starch goes particularly fluffy with a little baking powder (almost like croissant texture), but can be controlled by leaving it out and erring shy of the recommended cooking time for a more chewy texture. Mixing some pecorino (sheep cheese) passed through a fine grater helps.

Looking at this particular product, it reads okay in terms of the ingredients and process. There is "modified" starch in there and a rather fluffy answer from the company: Gluten free bread mixes and gluten free frozen dough - Chebe Bread but probably no more processed than sourced of straight-up manioc starch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12