Thread: n00b question re: LHT page

Jello Butt is offline Junior Member

n00b question re: LHT

Shop Now
    So, I'm doing the Primal Fitness body weight regimen. I'm fairly new to the LHT thing so I have what is likely a stoopid question - how many sets of exercises, push-ups as an example, can I spread throughout the course of the day? I can do about 30 consecutive push-ups, then need a break. So, what if I do something like two sets of thirty in the morning, a single set of thirty around lunch, then two more sets of thirty in the evening? Are there any issues around efficiency, effectiveness, injury-risk, etc. doing it this way? I know to take a day off in between for recovery purposes, but not sure about what is good or bad during the course of the exercise day.

Mahalo.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If you read the pdf, you will see a progression for the pushups. You only need to do 2 sets. Only 2 x/week.

Once you get up to 50 regular pushups in one set, you can advance to decline pushups.

Quantity isn't as important as intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    If you read the pdf, you will see a progression for the pushups. You only need to do 2 sets. Only 2 x/week.

Once you get up to 50 regular pushups in one set, you can advance to decline pushups.

Quantity isn't as important as intensity.
    Yeah...however, I'm struggling to get more than 30 in one set which is far short of the 50 that PBF recommends. I'm hoping that if I can do more over the course of the day, I will be able to get up to 50 and move up in progression. Make sense? Maybe not?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Dragonfly is right. You have to push hard to drive up the reps in each set. Basically 2x30min LHT sets is all you should do, but you should work hard in each set. Its OK to take a few seconds rest so the each movement set doesn't have to be uninterrupted. I wouldn't get to 50 without a pause or two at the moment

On the other hand, the "grease the groove" approach says you can increase your rep count by regular attempts. I'd say do that for your pushups, but don't count them as LHT sessions, which should contain all five movements
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    If you can do 30 Consecutive, you could probably do 20/ Rest a minute to 90 seconds/ and then do 20 more/ rest for the same 60-90 sec/ and finish out the 10. I did that with my Kettle Bell Swings and progressed quite fast doing as many as I could the first set, resting a bit, doing as many as I could the second, and then finishing off the amount left for my goal until I finally only needed one rest in between. I donno, i"m no expert, but it may be worth a try.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKATTO71 View Post
    If you can do 30 Consecutive, you could probably do 20/ Rest a minute to 90 seconds/ and then do 20 more/ rest for the same 60-90 sec/ and finish out the 10. I did that with my Kettle Bell Swings and progressed quite fast doing as many as I could the first set, resting a bit, doing as many as I could the second, and then finishing off the amount left for my goal until I finally only needed one rest in between. I donno, i"m no expert, but it may be worth a try.
    ^ This does work--as well as the "grease the groove" approach that Peril mentioned.

PrimalCon New York
    thx all