Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to get enough carbs page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

Struggling to get enough carbs

Hi All,

First post!

Quick PB bio: I decided to adopt PB because my current eating habits have left me feeling bloated and I also feel I carry a bit too much b.f. (maybe 12-15% - I would like to be 10 or just below eventually). I have little doubt that grains were causing some of the bloating, even if I was careful to avoid gluten (I am gluten and lactose intolerant). Research brought me to MDA and I liked what I saw; it helped that I already exercise roughly in keeping with PB (I lift heavy 3x a week and am now starting to incorporate HIIT). I am only a few days in, but already I feel less bloated (even if I have suffered from some of the common initial toilet issues of switching to a higher fat diet ).

On to the topic of the thread... I've been logging my food for the last few days and have noticed that I am struggling to eat enough carbs - today for example I only managed 56g with 115g fat (not counting OO used for cooking) and 249g protein. These macro ratios seem a bit off to me - too much protein?

What are some good sources of dense primal carbs, I can only eat so many carb light veggies, etc. in a day (carb wise today I had strawberries, blueberries, mange tout, avocado, lettuce, shallots, and red peppers - around 100g of each)

Any advice for a newborn Grok much appreciated.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are great, as are a little white rice and regular potatoes. I'd say you sound a little protein heavy to me. White rice is, of course, a grain, but Mark is ok on it for people who need to starch up a bit.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Definitely aim for more fat--around 60-70% of calories--the protein will sort itself out, I imagine, once you've upped your fat.

If you are wanting to drop body fat, your carbs are fine. Otherwise, sweet potatoes and potatoes are fine carb-heavy sources.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes/yams! I just had mashed Korean sweet potatoe/yam (with cinnamon, butter and bacon) and 12 ounce grassfed chuck steak. Yum!

Great news - I love sweet potatoes! I think including OO I'm getting around 50-55% calories from fats at present. May have to start soaking and eating nuts to up it a bit more, although I'm not really a fan..

Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    Great news - I love sweet potatoes! I think including OO I'm getting around 50-55% calories from fats at present. May have to start soaking and eating nuts to up it a bit more, although I'm not really a fan..
    Better to cook your eggs & meat with coconut oil, pastured butter or lard. Avocados are a good source, but like nuts, have higher Omega 6 levels which should really be avoided. So small amounts.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, white potatoes, and white rice work for me

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Better to cook your eggs & meat with coconut oil, pastured butter or lard. Avocados are a good source, but like nuts, have higher Omega 6 levels which should really be avoided. So small amounts.
    Hmmm...I'm trying to hunt down some coconut oil, it isn't widely available in the UK. I've also been checking out quite a few posts regarding Omegas - I'm definitely going to start taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements again to balance levels a bit (I am rather partial to some avocado in a salad...)

Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    Hmmm...I'm trying to hunt down some coconut oil, it isn't widely available in the UK. I've also been checking out quite a few posts regarding Omegas - I'm definitely going to start taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements again to balance levels a bit (I am rather partial to some avocado in a salad...)
    Actually, coconut oil is available is most health food stores in the UK. Tescos carries it in some stores. Whole Foods in London has it.

Also, you can order lots online. Spectrum is a good brand.

Coconut Oil Premium Cold Processed Virgin Coconut Oil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Actually, coconut oil is available is most health food stores in the UK. Tescos carries it in some stores. Whole Foods in London has it.

Also, you can order lots online. Spectrum is a good brand.

Coconut Oil Premium Cold Processed Virgin Coconut Oil
    Thanks for this dragonfly - I'd looked in a few supermarkets over the last few days with no luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast