Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this why the forum was removed in the past? page

Is it just me, or has the forum completely changed since it's origin? Lately, it seems to have fallen away from people giving advice on the best ways to train, eat, and live primally, to people arguing over whether or not the PB is the right way to live.

It's frustrating, and I wonder if this is why Mark removed the forum section in the past.

I'm not saying that you can't question the PB, but if you really don't want to follow it, don't. There are plenty of forums out there in cyber-space, I am sure that you can find one that suits your needs and be very happy there.

I think the best thing for those of us that do follow the PB (not saying that you have to be die-hard, just agree with the principles), is to ignore the white noise and let the topics fall off of the forum page. The more you argue with these folks, the higher the ranking on the forum. Just let it disappear. No need to allow someone to increase your cortisol levels!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

PJAP I was just thinking this yesterday! I know I've already been through a few "phases" of trying different carb levels and exercise levels and whatnot, but have held firmly that grains and sugar DO NOT get along with my system anymore, and that I love the Primal emphasis on constant low level activity.

It seems like many people posting are in about the same time frame, 6 months to 1 year-ish of a Primal lifestyle, so I was thinking it's just other people's way of assessing their progress. Or lack of progress in some cases. Either way, I think debating low-carb vs. zero carb is valid here, while completely questioning the whole philosophy is unnecessary. I'm glad someone else noticed that too!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Niklas Guest

@PrimalJewish

if you're talking about bobbylight, he is someone following a PB who raise legitimate questions and doubts. It's because we questioned CW that we are here. It doesn't make any sense that it frustrates you or increase your cortisol level, unless you want to treat BP like a religion and censor critical thinking.

I think the forum might have been removed in the past because it had nothing to do with PB anymore as Mark is not a fan of low veggie diets or extreme interpretations of primal nutrition.

one_eye_mike Guest

It's time to take a big step back if an internet forum is going to raise your cortisol level. Niklas is dead on, questioning is a good thing, blind adherence is not.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I must say, I am a newbie here relatively speaking, but even I had noticed that the overall tone had changed quite rapidly, over the past little while. I'm not referring to any one individual, but things do seem a bit tense and there are a few people that seem to think that there's is the only way to go, so everyone else should do as they say, or else they're just plain wrong.

I was filling in my 30 day challenge journal earlier and as I typed, my mind was thinking that it might well be a relief not to have to visit for a while, as I'm just a bit fed up of it all. Not of the way of eating, but just all the other stuff.

And yes, I got a bit antsy on the grains thread yesterday. There's my frustration in black and white.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I ignore most of the arguing on here. Know who has an awesome opinion on this very board?

The Son of Grok!

Read here (point #3):

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/07/whe...tivation-gone/

maranne is offline Senior Member

Totally agree with you mrd232!

M x

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

It's pretty clear to me now that a person's diet is one of the few things that can approach religious zealotry. I'm waiting for someone to post a thread declaring a jihad on grain-eaters.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Geoff is offline Member

There's certainly some tension here of late, and I trust Mark and the Worker Bees will moderate the forum when Mark thinks it's needed.

Let's remember though, how Mark introduced "The Primal Blueprint"

You see, the "Primal Blueprint" is more than just a book. It's the centerpiece of a vibrant community of people connected by the Internet and committed to living their lives to the fullest potential, challenging the status quo, and trying something old. I encourage you to participate at MarksDailyApple.com. Share your experiences with the program and connect with an audience that can relate to you in a way that goes beyond what a book or even a paid trainer can offer.
    ("The Primal Blueprint" p. xii).

I agree with Mark that this forum is a vital part of the Primal Blueprint community. Shortly after that quote above, Mark writes of how he views "The Primal Blueprint" as a "framework" that we can modify based on our personal experience and intuitions. So, as I see it, Primal living is a "big tent" that can hold many, and none of us hold a monopoly on the truth. This forum is a place to further our understanding and share our personal experiences among like-minded people. To me the most interesting information here is the information borne out by personal experience. Abstract musings about whether this or that is Primal (or healthy) don't really move me unless the proponent has stepped up and actually put their abstract idea into practice in their personal life.

Like anything this forum can be abused. People who post here looking to sell their goods and/or services abuse it. People who post here simply to antagonize others abuse it. There are other ways it can be abused, I'm sure, but I'd rather not dwell on them. To me, though, all abuse of the forum boils down to a single thing: being insincere - not honestly making the commitment Mark discusses in the quote above.

To me, part of being sincere involves accepting responsibility for your thoughts and actions. Mark took responsibility for himself and his life when he formulated PB. He spent much time learning and trying different approaches and found a system that worked for him. He really "grokked" it before rolling it out to all of us, and he listens to challenges to his views with an open (if ultimately unconvinced) mind. Someone who sincerely doubts a tenet of "The Primal Blueprint" owes it to Mark and the work he's done to do at least as much as he did: accept that you alone are responsible for your life and the choices you make, get yourself reasonably informed, put that new information into practice in your life, impartially evaluate the results you achieve, report those results, and be prepared to listen to constructive criticism with an open mind. To me that's the essence of a sincere disagreement. To do less than that is...well... less than sincere.

Personally, I sometimes find it hard to discern sincerity in web postings, so (unless I know otherwise) I take the words people write here at face value. I guess that's because I'm confident enough in the choices I make each day not to feel threatened or concerned by someone who chooses differently for their life. Want to eat grains? Fine, you can go ahead and have it. Feel like going ZC? Knock yourself out. Is Crossfit good for you? Not for me (or at least it's not right now). I don't intend any disrespect to any of those people by saying that. I just ain't buying what they're selling. What I'm doing works for me and my life, right now, and that's enough for me.

Aww, shucks, I'm ramblin' again. Sorry for such a long post.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I have noticed some sniping on the board. Certain people are very hard on posters that ask innocent questions. I don't think it does any good to ask people "have you even read the book?", as if they're idiots. People may want to use this forum to ask questions about Primal eating before they buy or have finished reading the book. I try to ignore it but it does have an effect on the overall feeling of the board. I don't see anything wrong with being nice to people, no matter how silly their questions seem to the more experienced. No one likes diet Nazis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast