Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking and running page

Robynbee is offline Senior Member

Walking and running

Primal Fuel
    This isn't really a 'primal' question, per se, but I've recently cut down on my running in favour of walking. I usually run about 15 miles a week, but after learning about the benefits of interval training, I've decided to switch to sprints. Anyway, I've never had trouble with my knees when running, but now, when I go for a walk, my knees are just killing me! Have I forgotten how to walk properly?! Has this happened to anyone else?

skookum is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if you've changed how you flex your foot while walking versus running. Could your Achille's be getting tight? That often causes knee pain.

dino5jacobson is offline Junior Member
    Walking and running are important tasks of you daily exercise..

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynbee View Post
    This isn't really a 'primal' question, per se, but I've recently cut down on my running in favour of walking. I usually run about 15 miles a week, but after learning about the benefits of interval training, I've decided to switch to sprints. Anyway, I've never had trouble with my knees when running, but now, when I go for a walk, my knees are just killing me! Have I forgotten how to walk properly?! Has this happened to anyone else?
    Are you stretching properly? Tight quads can sometimes affect knees I think. Or maybe it's not the walking that's the problem but the sprinting?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal is a lifestyle not a diet. Questions about running and walking are very primal.

Experiment when you walk. What makes it better or worse?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I do sometimes rush through my stretches, it could indeed be muscle tightness.
    I find that if I walk uphill or keep my knees bent a bit at all times, that seems to make it better.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I do sometimes rush through my stretches, it could indeed be muscle tightness.
    I find that if I walk uphill or keep my knees bent a bit at all times, that seems to make it better.
    That does sound like muscle tightness. I had knee surgery a couple months ago and can only strengthen my leg 95% of the way. My physiotherapist said that tight hamstrings can hamper full extension so maybe you have a similar issue.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Stretching?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I walk A LOT for my work, usually between 10 and 15 miles a day, sometimes more, and 6 days a week.

I can't run to save my life.

They're completely different things, so you're going to be feeling it. I'd say give your supporting muscles a little bit of time to develop stuff you may not have used much. If you're still having problems, then I might worry a little more.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

@kcult - pffffttt. That made me lol at work.

I did some yoga this morning (which is a new thing I'm trying to do) and holy cow was Downward Dog tough on my hammies. Yep, I may have a bit of a tightness issue there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast