Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal in the military? page

PrimalCharles is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi,

I have been a lurker of MDA and the forum for a while, and have come up with a bit of a problem. I am in the Reserve forces, and so I can quite happily eat primal in my own time, however when on training we obviously have to eat what we are given. The training has generally been pretty intense, and so IF is out of the question (for 2-3 days without food when active 18hrs a day, I would probably collapse, not to mention the two week courses). Does anyone else have a similar problem, and how do you get around it?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

What, you mean your sarge won't toss you a steak every few hours?

Sorry, fella-you're in the Army now!

WHEN you have the opportunity; don't blow it on alcohol and twinkies.

Travis G Guest

First off, thanks for your service. I was in the exact same situation that you're in when i was serving. There's really not much you can do unless you want to pack your own food. Yeah me either...I think you're probably going to just have to chalk it up.

@DM, unfortunately it seems sarge will only toss me beers or cigarettes... neither of which do much good...

@Travis Yep, was really just looking for those who were/had been in the same positions... Thanks! always good to meet others who served.

Have to say Marks blog post yesterday was pretty much perfect timing... I fear next exercise my bergan is going to be pretty much heavier with the tinned tuna, Biltong and pemmican!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I doff my hat to you, PrimalCharles. My OH was in the Royal Air Force for 12 years - I have total admiration for anyone in the military, reserve or otherwise.

Good luck with the biltong!

hakman73 Guest

It's not really that hard, if you put your mind into it.

What I've been doing myself (for exercises up to 2 weeks):

1. Eat from rations what you can.

2. Take your own food

- canned food: sardines, mackerel and tuna being my favourite

- dried meat: not hard to do at all, couple of pounds lasts for a long while. Pemmican is even better, but takes more effort to make

- nuts

- dried fruit: bananas, plums, apples etc. I know.. fruit is not very primal, but you are burning lots of calories and I consider this situation being close to endurance athletics.

- Take a flask of olive oil and pour it generously over everything you eat. I do not mean drowning it in oil but.. well - you can work out the best way to use it yourself.

- Butter works too, but you have to have an airtight container to hold it in.. Tends to melt. I've used also finnish crisp bread with LOTS of butter. They are delicious, low-carb and lot of its carbs content is fiber anyway.

3. If all other options run out - eat non-primal shamelessly. It's only for a few days and you burn lots of carbs straight off.

I must confess that I have the same problem though, but on bigger scale. I'm expecting to spend 6 months in merry province of Helmand in southern Afghanistan next year and it's a bit problematic to pack for 180 days

Have still to work out logistics for that one!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to mention that IF doesn't mean going 2-3 days without food. It's more like skipping a meal or three.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

@hakman73, let us all know when you go & we'll keep ya supplied with good primal stuff.

Travis G Guest

Just wanted to share this article that I found yesterday

http://robbwolf.com/?p=918

@Travis Thanks for the link!

@hakman73 - may well see you there! possibly off at the end of next year, and it will be south in Helmand... Great fun! Does the Estonian military get the free packages from Estonia, in the way the UK does? (packages around the size of a shoebox and under 2kg are free)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast