Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal in the military? page 2

hakman73 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@ PrimalCharles - I really haven't looked into package policy yet. If that's true it would make a lot of difference. 2kg amounts a lot of jerky.

So you'll be deployed in the end of year? I'll be then able to give you some good tips as I'll be off in April/May timeframe.

By the way - I'm right now in UK too - participating in FST Commanders Course in Larkhill.

It's a challenge on its own to stay primal in british military installation, I must say! Well.. actually it's not been too bad - today my low-carbing earned me an extra slice of delicious lamb roast with a wink ("so you wont starve without carbs") from our chef.

nina_70 Guest

This is not strictly Primal, but good in a fix...plain 'ol low-carb Protein Powder. It's fairly light, indestructable, and can go anywhere. Have several friends in the Navy and that's what they're supplementing at the moment. If you have access to some fat, add it in the shake.

PrimalCharles is offline Junior Member

@hakman73 - Spent a alco filled week at larkhill wasting the taxpayers money on a riding course... slightly more fun but less useful than the FST course I imagine...! I found, having a bit of time on US bases in Germany that the low carb option is easier than on the British bases, although I do agree with our units chef's policy on Vegetarians... Unprintable!

GotPrimal Guest

Big military holds onto CW tighter than Obama does his birth certificate. Their chow halls are worse than grade school cafeterias.

Glad to hear you are reserves, and can eat mostly what you want. I agree though, going out into the field with MREs is hardly primal.

I would try to trade the skittles/sweet tarts/gum in your MRE for the meat portions in someone elses kit.

hakman73 Guest

I'm not reserves - I just use my position as an officer selfishly and pack my own meals

Sometimes it's MRE too - you cannot always win and yes, trading goods is always an option.

I haven't been in any US bases, have some experience with a German one, which wasn't too bad.

Worst so far was in Finland - tasty enough, but very fat-free and carb heavy. Although there was always a good choice of green salad available, which is not the case in UK it seams.

As of Estonia.. You can survive on garrison food - just have to skip potatoes, pasta or rice and eat only meat part of the dish. Only negative thing is that portions are pre-measured.

ega2081 Guest

I just got back from a two week annual training. It was absolutely horrible as far as the chow hall went. Pasta every night and pancakes and cereal every morning mixed in with low fat yogurt that was of course loaded with sugar. During the day we ate MREs.

I basically traded MRE's to get rid of the high carb items. I stocked up on protein powder, beef jerky, and nuts.

For the chow hall, I just simply tried to avoid the carbs, even if it meant four trips to the salad bar.

ega2081 Guest

Althaur is offline Senior Member

I just got back from 2 weeks at Ft Devens, MA. The chow hall was HORRIBLE. I still managed to stay primal though. I stocked up on canned sardines and jerkey. Bought a bottle of coconut oil. I also made some of Mark's primal energy bars in advance to take with me.

I had eggs and bacon for breakfast. Lunch, without fail, everyday was a salad with lots of olive oil crumbled bacon and tuna salad.

Every lunch and dinner they served, except two, was pasta or breaded meat with corn as the vegetable. Thankfully, I could go out for dinner, or have another of my lunch salads.

In a pinch, I could have unbreaded the meat if need be.

ega2081 Guest

@Althaur, I was at Camp Edwards on the cape. What unit/branch, are you with? You can email me if you have any opsec concerns. EGA2081@aol.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12