Thread: Sauteing: Grass fed butter or coconut oil? page

mwok86 is offline Senior Member

Sauteing: Grass fed butter or coconut oil?

Shop Now
    For sauteing meats like lamb, is grass fed butter (kerry gold) or coconut oil better?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK, coconut oil is a little more heat-stable, but both are fairly good. Clarified butter (which you can make or buy—usually under the Indian name ghee/ghi) would be better than ordinary butter for cooking. But so long as the heat's not too high you're OK. Whatever you use, don't allow it to get hot enough to smoke.

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I totally agee with Lewis. You can't go wront with coconut oil or a good quality ghee. That is all I use in sauteeing. An even better option than those two in my opinion is some form of rendered animal fat like duck fat, beef tallow, or bacon drippings.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    For a true saute (objects in pan in constant motion) butter will do since you typically don't do it to the point where the milk proteins burn. If you really mean pan-fry, then butter is going to burn pretty quickly; in that case use a pure fat like ghee, coconut oil, tallow/lard etc as suggested above.