Thread: Turkey Soup Help page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Turkey Soup Help

Shop Now
    Husband wants me to make turkey soup tonight. I have wild turkey breast and lots of homemade stock thawing at the moment. Any suggestions?

His favorite soup I used to make was a wild rice soup that included corn and a bit of cream. I really want to make something dairy and grain free, any ideas for a veggie picky husband? I have started subbing yellow squash and zucchini in my chicken 'noodle' soup...but would love to try something new.

Thank you in advance!!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    PS....we do eat potatoes on occasion, I am thinking of using that as a starch to appease DH.......almost thinking something like this....hrmmm Turkey and Potato Soup with Canadian Bacon Recipe | MyRecipes.com

me jane is offline Senior Member
    I like to put chopped broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage in my turkey soup, along with celery, onions, & carrots.

I chop all the vegies fairly small, and the turkey too. Then your bowl will be full of solid stuff plus broth. It's very yummy!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I do, not sure if it gives you a lot of veggies though:

Take leftover turkey carcass (usually legs and back leftover from Thanksgiving), put in big pot and boil/simmer for 1 hour
    Strain solids from broth, let cool, pick off meat from bones and set aside, break bones with hammer and return to broth, simmer for 3-5 hours
    Strain solids from broth (I usually toss them at this point)
    Chop meat into bite size pieces, add to broth
    Roughly chop 3 carrots and 3 sticks of celery, add to broth
    Dice 1/2 a red onion and 3 garlic cloves, add to broth
    Add 1 bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste, a sprinkle of onion powder and parsley flakes and 1 tablespoon chicken boullion
    Let simmer 20 mins till veggies are soft-enjoy!

The last time I made this I experimented a little and simmered a cup of heavy cream till it coated a spoon, then added two ladlefuls of the finished soup to the cream-made a nice, rich, cream of turkey soup.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener