Thread: Bodyfat plateau page

BR1986FB is offline Senior Member

Bodyfat plateau

Primal Fuel
    Ok, figured I'd reach out to you folks for a little advice. Been Paleo/Primal for about 4 months and have dropped 32 lbs (57 total), quite a bit of bodyfat and about 5 pant sizes. My current problem is I'm stagnated/plateaued.

I train 6 days a week. Four of those are Crossfit-type circuits. Two of those workouts are 15 minutes and two are about 28 minutes (10-13 minutes for abs). Cardio on the other two days with one day being sprint intervals and walking.

I'm not really concerned in the shedding of bodyweight but I DO want to continue dropping fat. The weight hasn't moved in 3 weeks (no biggie) but the bodyfat hasn't either. I attribute the bodyweight plateau to the fact that I'm lifting real heavy on compound lifts (400+ lb deadlifts for higher reps, etc).

Mt eating is militant in that I don't really cheat. The closest thing to a "cheat" is the occasional 70%+ dark chocolate and a dash of heavy whipping cream in the morning java. I also use intermittent fasting daily.

I'm 43 years old. Starting bodyweight (prior to Paleo/Primal) was 289lbs, current is 232lbs. Starting bodyfat was 34%, current 25%.

Any advice to kickstart this bodyfat plateau is appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    are you lifting weights?

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    are you lifting weights?
    Yes, very heavy too.

My workouts, currently, are:

Sat- pushups/pullups/dips intervals...I do a set of max rep pushups, 30 sec speed jumping jacks, set of max rep pullups, 30 sec speed jump rope, max rep dips, 30 sec speed jumping jacks (as many circuits as possible in 20 minutes) followed by abs

Sun- Power clean, 30 sec speed jacks, barbell curls (as many cycles as possible in 15 minutes)

Mon- sprint intervals (15 minutes...walk a minute, sprint a minute)

Tues- Deadlift, 30 sec jump rope, weighted tricep dips between benches (as many cycles as possible in 15 minutes)...abs

Weds- Squats, 30 sec speed jacks, kettlebell swings ( as many cycles as possible in 15 minutes)

Thurs- walking for distance

Fri- rest day/fun day

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Plateaus are normal. Just wait it out. The body does not lose fat linearly.

If it lasts for another three weeks, you may want to decrease your eating window slightly.

When you get down to 10% bodyfat you can try a carb refeed--but it's too soon for that and will just derail you at your current level of body fat.

Also want to add that my carbs are usually <50g's per day with most of that coming from veggies. I may eat blueberries or raspberries once or twice a week.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I don't personally like all the intervals you're doing. I'd focus your workouts more.

Focus your strength workouts on getting stronger... upping the weight and taking longer breaks in between sets. Ditching all the stuff in between. Do 3 core lifts, push,pull and squat.

Your sprints... "most" people can't sprint a full min. Are you doing 400 meters (1/4 mile) in your 60 second sprint? If not... I'd shorten the distance to 100 and 200 meters max... that should take you at max 15 seconds for the 100, 30 for the 200. Focus on getting faster... not going farther. Do them an a hill every other week.

Do a conditioning day similar to your Sat workout.

2 strength, 1 sprint, 1 condition/metcon. That's it per week... rest of the time talk walks.

The weight will contiunue to drop... it will just take time.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I don't personally like all the intervals you're doing. I'd focus your workouts more.

Focus your strength workouts on getting stronger... upping the weight and taking longer breaks in between sets. Ditching all the stuff in between. Do 3 core lifts, push,pull and squat.

Your sprints... "most" people can't sprint a full min. Are you doing 400 meters (1/4 mile) in your 60 second sprint? If not... I'd shorten the distance to 100 and 200 meters max... that should take you at max 15 seconds for the 100, 30 for the 200. Focus on getting faster... not going farther. Do them an a hill every other week.

Do a conditioning day similar to your Sat workout.

2 strength, 1 sprint, 1 condition/metcon. That's it per week... rest of the time talk walks.

The weight will contiunue to drop... it will just take time.
    As far as the "2 strength" you mention. If I want these workouts to have squats (one day) and deadlift (the other), what other exercises would I be focusing on? I only added the curls & weighted dips between benches because I really couldn't think of other movements to add. Adding pushups or pullups on these days, with the Saturday workout already covering them, I thought would be overkill.

The one minute sprints are on the treadmill.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I mean focus on strength only... think to youself "the goal of this workout is to get stronger". cut out all the jumping jacks, jumprope, etc and don't do it for time, do it for 3 sets of 5, 5 sets of 5, or whatever set/rep count you want.

Find a nice hill and do your sprints outside... balls out. You can't safely really sprint on a treadmill IMO.