Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First checkup after going Primal in March. Results already! page

Spubba is offline Senior Member

Cool First checkup after going Primal in March. Results already!

Shop Now
    Ok. I'm sold.

My blood pressure went down **insert insane, appalling, life-threatening number that I'm ashamed to even admit, here** points. So did my cholesterol and triglycerides. If I stay Primal, I may very well be extending my own lifespan. Medication NEVER got me these kinds of results.

After years of counting fat-grams, following nutritionists' guidelines, starving, feeling sick after eating the 'recommended' diets, prediabetes, taking medications that I was sure were doing more harm than good, being shown the little fake glass of plastic "juice" and the little fake bowl of plastic cereal and told that's what I should be having for breakfast and wondering why doctors still clucked their tongues and shook their heads at me like I was some kind of redheaded stepchild of medical science gone awry... I'M NORMAL.

NORMAL. I'm still wrapping my brain around that word.

My doctor actually called me on the phone to discuss the results of my blood work. She sounds amazed. I never mentioned to her that I had gone Primal - she's assuming that I'm eating low fat. Hah. I'm still getting used to NOT pulling the skin off my chicken pieces. I have to remind myself every day, "It's ok to eat this."

The digestive problems I've had throughout my life are gone. My heartburn... I no longer need to take Zantacs all day. Gas? What's that?

I have had some problems with energy, nausea and fatigue, but I think that's hormone-related. My periods stopped shortly after going Primal. I don't think it's related to Primal, though. I think that's just age-related (I'm in my 40's). The doctor couldn't find any good reason for that happening and says there's no cause for concern.

I still have a lot of weight to lose. The weight loss stalled after a bit, so I'm adding dumbbells to my usual exercise mix, hoping to build a little muscle and burn a few more calories. I've found that cutting calories too severely makes me feel tempted to binge, so I'd rather exercise more than eat less.

In the morning, I gnaw on bacon or make soft-scrambled free-range eggs. I put real cream in my coffee (I still have 1 cup daily). I drink coconut milk with abandon. I cook in butter or ghee. I'm having to teach myself to like fat, and to NOT trim the creamy rind from steaks and cuts of meat. It's a learning process, and I'm eating the OPPOSITE of how Conventional Wisdom would tell me to eat, but I'm so ecstatic with the results (I now have numbers on a sheet of paper from a medical lab DOCUMENTING my improvement), it'd be dumb of me to give up.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I'm totally inspired by your post! I've been Primal only a week, so it's exciting to read about your results in only two months.

I'm in my mid-40s and on meds for diabetes & HBP for the past 7 years. I recently quit taking a statin that I had been on for a year to see if it affected intermittent joint paint I had been having (that I was attributing to Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism). Guess what, I haven't had any issues since I stopped the statin. And I would like to live a lifestyle that gets me off other meds, too.

Thanks for your post. I am feeling hopeful about this. I also love Mark's fitness plan. I already do lots of slow-and-long (walking, cycling, gardening), and play (mainly ballroom dancing). I am psyched about doing more LHT's, and have been working on my ability to do a squat. I realized that my big gut affects my balance when I squat, so I'll just keep on trying.

Meanwhile, I feel confident that with dealing with the thyroid, and watching my eating habits, my lipids will work themselves out.

Anyway, yay on you!

Totally stick with it and see if it helps! My blood work and test results came back so good, I'm encouraged that this is the right way for me to eat and exercise.

I agree about the statin. My mother had that weird rare side effect on Lipitor, with the muscle thing, or whatever it's called, and it was dangerous. She lost enough muscle mass, permanently, that she's now disabled. I refused to take a statin because I didn't want that to happen to me. I think the science of how cholesterol is measured and treated here in the States is flawed, anyway.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Very cool!

I've only been doing it for a week, but I'm thrilled already. Thanks for even more inspiration!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post

I am psyched about doing more LHT's, and have been working on my ability to do a squat. I realized that my big gut affects my balance when I squat, so I'll just keep on trying.
    To start with, do your squats while you're standing between a pair of chairs that you can rest your hands on for support. When you're ready to give up the chairs, you can do your squats while holding dumbbells!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Oops. Forgot to add that you're all doing great! Keep it up!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thank you for all the encouragement. This forum has been wonderful!

Adding exercise really really spurred the weight loss for me. In 2-3 months I'm down almost 25 pounds; 35 pounds down from my highest weight. I still have a LONG way to go, but I'm well on my way. My fear now is of becoming "skinny-fat". I have added LHT (as much as I can handle at my fitness level) and yoga (modified for my size, but still, I can do some of the easier stuff) to walking and just trying to be a little more active.

Update: 50 pounds gone, officially, on the doctor's scale, from my highest weight.

I have not been happy with my medical care lately, so this week I have begun seeking out a Naturopath.

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member
    Congrats to you! That is wonderful! And also I commend you for sticking to it. I have just begun a paleo/primal change in my diet and I find that sticking to things is my biggest challenge. I hope to have the same success you have had! Good luck in the future! Hopefully you will continue to update us as it is always inspiring!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Amazing innit. Welcome to the club.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast