Thread: Fruit Squash page

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member

Question Fruit Squash

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I drink a lot of water and green tea, but sometimes I want something with a little more flavour so I drink fruit squash. However starting to wonder if I should be cutting it out?

I got the nutritional info off the website - but the preservatives and stuff seem to make it very un-primal. I usually opt for summer fruits or peach.

Home - Fruit & Barley

If it isn't great for me, anyone got any suggestions of what I should replace it with?

Thanks

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Don't even have to read the website to know that its not primal. Without the meat of the fruit your really just taking in the fruit sugar. So thats just a straight up insulin spike, much like you'd probably get eating candy or grains. I also have been hearing from Robb Wolf that it doesn't matter what kind of sweetener you use, as long as your body senses something sweet it will have an insulin spike (pretty sure everyone's insulin spikes, but other tests show that for some people just showing them a picture of sweet food will spike their insulin.) I say leave the any sweet thing out and save it for a cheat and learn to appreciate the other flavors of food.

Me_Grok is offline Junior Member
    It looks like they're using aspartame to sweeten it so they can claim 1 gram of sugar per serving. Personally, I try to avoid that stuff. I drink a lot of seltzer water since they're somewhat sweet and don't have any sugar or fake sugar in them.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    How about mineral water or plain seltzer water flavored with lemon or lime slices? That's something I never tire of. And it's very refreshing.

Have you tried jasmine green tea?

The longer you go avoiding sugar and artificial sweeteners, the less you'll desire something like the fruit squash.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah1990 View Post
    Hi,

If it isn't great for me, anyone got any suggestions of what I should replace it with?
    Diluted fruit juice.

Alternatively, take a small piece of fresh citrus fruit—a lime or lemon, or half or a quarter of a larger fruit such as an orange or grapefruit—and squeeze it, then add water. You could sweeten it with a little honey. You could also add a tiny pinch of sea-salt in hot weather.

Frankly, it seems whenever you actually go "DIY" the result always tastes so much better. Pre-packaged "Ginger teas" are usually fairly insipid, but if you grate a spoonful or so of fresh ginger steep it in a small teapot for a few minutes, then stir in a little honey, an strain off, you get something quite pleasant, fresher tasting, and much more intense.

Where commercial suppliers of ready-made products win is that I guess we haven't always got the time, or think we haven't.

^ I would call that diluted fruit juice! I usually only add a drop to a glass of water.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll def try some of the suggestions.
    Just don't remember a time in my life not having squash, it's a staple in my parents houses. Oh well, all the other primal things have been good so far so I'm sure I'll survive without!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to heal up any sort of gut issue, the barley could really thwart that. You don't even have to have gluten grain all that often to undo your progress. I'm with the others here who say just add a splash of juice to your water. Get something that's 100% fruit juice without all the junk.

I've just been possibly slightly irresponsible and donated the remaining bottle to my housemates.
    This is tougher than chocolate/sweets for me!

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    That's just plain sugar water. Drink water or at the very least homemade juice with pulp.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    When I need a sweet drink, I put small amount of fruit juice into sparkling water--really yummy.