Hi everyone! My name is Alyssa, and I'm 17. I wasn't quite sure what category to put this in, and I'm not even sure if this is on topic enough for a Primal forum, but I do need advice! I'll try to keep it short

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 2.5 years ago, and since I didn't like the prospect of being on meds for the rest of my life or loosing my colon, I tried a few different diets to see if I could cure myself. First I tried the raw diet, which was not successful. Then I was gluten free for a while, but it still wasn't enough. I finally settled on the SCD, which I've been on for 2 years. It's basically Primal- no grains, no sugar, no lactose- except WAY more strict because you can't even have a speck of anything 'illegal' or it will mess you up. I've actually experienced this, so the strictness is actually quite necessary.

So, I consider myself Primal, but the thing is, I haven't been able to do any lifting of heavy things or sprinting for pretty much the whole of the past 2 years because it makes my symptoms flare. Oh, and I also can't eat any raw fruits or veggies (no big ass salad for me!) for the same reason.

Though my diet has somewhat controlled my symptoms, I haven't gone in remission yet, and none of the meds have worked, so my last option is J-pouch surgery where they would remove my colon. I was wondering if anyone on here has dealt with colitis, or Crohns, or had this surgery, because I've been talking to some people who have had J-pouch surgery and I feel like I can't judge too much by their experiences because they all eat whatever they want! I really want the perspective and experiences of someone PRIMAL who has dealt with this, but it would be helpful to talk to anyone who has gone through this if they'd be willing Thank you so much, and I apologize again if this isn't a primal enough topic to merit posting!!

Oh, and I was also thinking about my diet afterwards, if I did decide to get surgery (which seems likely). Does anyone have any opinion on occasional indulgences such as potatoes, cheese, and rice? I know the usual recommendation is to avoid if you want to loose weight, but because of my colitis, I've been chronically underweight and would really need to gain weight. But also, these things are supposed to be harder to digest? It seems like a catch-22. I'm hoping my small intestine has no problems, but as you can imagine, I would be more inclined to baby what I'd have left of my digestive system!

Okay, I'm done, now, and really impressed if you're still reading I SO appreciate any insight or guidance or advice you want to give me! And sorry if that was confusing; hopefully my abbreviated description of my situation made some sort of sense