Thread: How to make this walnut torte Primal? page

Metasequoia Guest

I went to a party today & a friend had made this walnut mocha torte: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/tarts/walnut-mocha-torte/ She used the ground walnuts & instead of wheat flour, she used garbanzo bean flour (it only calls for 2 TBSP.)

So I looked up the recipe & I'd like to skip the garbanzo bean flour. I've baked a lot with ground pumpkin seeds (I grind them into a flour) - I wonder if that would work instead of the garbanzo bean flour?

I think everything else seems okay, but I want to lose ALL of the sugar. I don't want the caffeine, but that seems like a simple fix.

I'd be fine with maybe 2-3 drops of stevia glycerite in the whipped topping, but I wonder about the cake batter. I don't know if it would hold together so well without the sugar. I was thinking banana, but I don't necessarily want that much sugar/carb.

Ideas? I took the tiniest bite of my friend's slice & it was REALLY good!

Metasequoia Guest

Oh, I'm okay with the cream in the topping. My younger daughter can't have dairy - so I might try it with coconut milk, but I'm not sure it would whip like cow's cream. Once I figure out the sugar issue, I might play around & make two, one with dairy, one with coconut.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I've successfully whipped coconut cream. Stick the can in the fridge, and then scoop off the cream. It will be a hard blob. Whip this with a dribble of the coconut water and some vanilla.

As for the torte, There are tons of flour free bean free torte recipes out there. The bean flour is probably starchy so helps hold the cake together. You can acheive this with more egg.

As for the sugar, it too helps with the structure but give it a try!!! I would add some spices like cinnamon etc if you aren't going to put any sugar in, and double the vanilla. Maybe even a bit of almond extract.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

soror is offline Senior Member

I have made a vegan nut torte a few times it is sweetened w/ dates. I have never seen a recipe w/ eggs in it- scratch that it seems like a nut flour cake recipe, huh? Elana has one w/ almond flour of course sweetened w/ just bananas. You could sub the almonds out w/ walnuts obviously.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/lees-banana-birthday-cake/

Or instead of the bananas how about a cooked wintersquash? Same consistency but fewer carbs and then add a bit of stevia perhaps?

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Metasequoia Guest

I probably could use winter squash. I use baked sweet potato in my chocolate pumpkin seed muffins. (They call for arrowroot too, and I'm still playing around with what to replace that with.)

soror is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

You'll have to post your results when you try it!

Mama to 4, wife to my love