Thread: calorie needs page

Truman123 is offline Junior Member

Well, I've been eating mostly primal for about 1 1/2 months now, but it seems that I'm having trouble really leaning out (I want to be lean like Mark!). I'm about 5'5", 115 lbs. and certainly don't consider myself overweight, but like all women, I have my trouble zones. My workouts consist of kettlebell training, sprints, and heavy lifting (sandbags) 5-6 days/week (switch it up depending on what I'm in the mood for). I'm just wondering what my calorie needs really are (much of the research I've done points to around 1900 cals/day?)...I continue to feel hungry after dinner, so I munch on nuts afterward until I feel satisfied. Am I not getting enough to eat during the day? What should a typical day of eating look like for a women my size and activity level who wants to lean down without losing her hard-earned muscle?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

How much carbs are you eating? I think that's where the answer is.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

So what do you eat in a typical day - how low carb, how much fat, how much protein? I don&#39;t think munching on the nuts is helping. Its real easy to overdo them.

On a podcast with Robb Wolfe among other things he talks about the best way to lean out is with low carb - up to 50g for women,fibrous green vegies, fat, fish oil and caloric restriction.

http://robbwolf.com/?p=864

http://blog.adonislifestyle.com/how-many-calories-do-you-need-to-lose-weight/

http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...apid-fat-loss/

Sue

Some of the highlights (summarised by Rusty of Fitness Black Book) of Adonislifestyle podcast - middle link:

"Some Highlights…

1. People should aim to eat 400-500 below their BMR when losing weight.

2. Since BMR accounts for 80% of calories burned, use that as your baseline.

3. Consider calories burned from activity as a bonus.

4. Very few men need to eat over 2,000 calories per day even maintaining (will shock many people and he explains why).

5. He is 217 pounds, is eating 1,200-1,500 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week.

6. Bottom line…people have been mislead when it comes to how many calories to eat per day."

syzchan is offline Member

I&#39;ve been reading up on this as I&#39;m looking to do the same. I&#39;ve decided to go with Lyle McDonald and try to incorporate a few things from his Ultimate Diet 2.0. He suggests for people who are already lean (defined for women as about 21-24% bf), the goal should be to aim for a calorie deficit of 10-15% below maintenance. He provides evidence of maintenance calories being about 14-16 per lb of body weight (even taking into account an hr of exercise a day), suggesting women use 14 to calculate, 15/16 if you have a higher metabolism.

Tarlach is offline Member

Well all you people who want to starve yourselves can.

I&#39;m happy losing body fat on 2500+ calories a day. My exercise is two 30min workouts each week.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

I would suggest an intermittent fasting program like eat stop eat by brad pilon. Just do 2 24 hour fasts a week and that will drop your weekly calorie load quick, leading to fat loss.

Sue

Thats good Tarlach - I couldn&#39;t lose eating that amount - lucky you.

Sometimes you just have to change things up and it could mean going lower in calories for some or doing the 2 x 24 hour fasts. I like doing the fasts.

Sue

PrimalCon New York

Or more fat, etc - its an individual thing.