Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, I've got Chicken Livers page

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member

Help, I've got Chicken Livers

Primal Fuel
    I just bought a 16oz tub of chicken livers at the grocery store today (only $1.50), but I don't know how to cook them.

I figure just put them in a skillet with some fat, but how do I know when they're done, what color or hardness should they be at?

I have 3 fats available: Olive Oil, Butter, and Coconut Oil.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    The outside should be done but the inside should still have color (i.e., pinkish). You don't want them to get tough. Let them go in a medium-heat skillet for a couple minutes on one side, flip, then go for another minute or so. At least that's what I recall.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

belinda is offline Senior Member
    This recipe for chicken liver pate is called 'heart attack on a plate'. Obviously the chef doesn't know what he's talking about .... but the recipe sounds really good

Mirj's Heart-Attack-On-A-Plate Chopped Chicken Liver Recipe - Food.com - 22420
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

julie-a is offline Member
    I rolled them in coconut flour and pan-fried them in bacon fat and my husband loved them. I don't care for them but I can definately say don't make chicken liver soup! haha, I fed it to the dogs. Actually, the flavor isn't the problem as much as the texture for me. Good luck!

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Make them with bacon and onions. It is one of the simplest liver recipes you can get, but I am sure it is one of the best as well! Put the bacon and onions in the skillet, and when the onions are brownish, add the liver cut in pieces. Turn them from time to time. Ideally, they should be brown on the outside and pink inside. It will not take long. Maybe 3 or 4 minutes. You will need medium to high heat for that. If you have doubts, take one piece and cut it to check. When done, add salt and pepper to taste (it may be a myth but my mother taught me to salt liver after cooking it, otherwise it gets tough). Serve with broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts or other green vegetables. I had duck liver for breakfast today, with broccoli. It was soooo delicious, and the smell must have made my neighbours green with envy.

I love liver but not when it is overcooked, like when you use it with other kinds of meat to make broth. It is still palatable (although far from as good as the above recipe) but I have major issues with the texture. I can't even swallow it properly. It feels like it is stuck in my throat.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Anyone bother soaking 'em? Mom used to do that (in milk), but I'm not sure it's necessary.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    My mom always used to soak beef liver in milk first. Milk is a bit of a tenderizer and it helps to draw out any bitterness (I think that's why she did it, anyways).
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I saute onions, garlic, herbs, pepper in tons of butter, add liver, cook briefly, then puree the whole thing. Pour into a bowl, then cover with a layer of melted butter. It is SO good!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    I don't soak them. I don't think it is necessary for poultry. If I had beef or pork livers, maybe...

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    Make them with bacon and onions. It is one of the simplest liver recipes you can get, but I am sure it is one of the best as well! Put the bacon and onions in the skillet, and when the onions are brownish, add the liver cut in pieces. Turn them from time to time. Ideally, they should be brown on the outside and pink inside. It will not take long. Maybe 3 or 4 minutes. You will need medium to high heat for that. If you have doubts, take one piece and cut it to check. When done, add salt and pepper to taste (it may be a myth but my mother taught me to salt liver after cooking it, otherwise it gets tough). Serve with broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts or other green vegetables.
    this sounds good, thanks! i have a bunch of EXPENSIVE chicken livers from US wellness that I need to do something with eventually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast