Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses stevia? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I bought some today... it's dextrose and stevia. I'm kind of reluctant to use it though. The sweetness scares me. Will it cause an insulin response? It has less than 1 gram of carbs per serving. I figure that if I put it in my tea and drink it with a meal there will be no effects whatsoever, right?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

billman89 is offline Member

I would ditch it, sorry. Stevia is very very sweet and it&#39;s the taste of sweet that can be addictive. Also, the dextrose alone will produce an insulin response.

Best just to go cold turkey and allow fruits to seem as sweet as they actually are.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I thought it tasted like crap actually. I don&#39;t like sweetness anymore - even sweet potatoes made me feel sort of uneasy today. Oh well, at least my mom can benefit from it - it&#39;s a huge step up from sugar.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

JamieBelle is offline Member

I use Stevia. My preferred brand so far is called NuStevia. It&#39;s sort of powdered/granulated.

I use it for my morning coffee and also in baking. My coconut flour cookbook offers "low sugar" varieties of almost all the recipes in it using stevia as a sugar substitute.

Niklas Guest

I wouldn&#39;t be afraid of "insuln response" as long as it&#39;s functional: blood sugar going up a little, right amount of insulin being released, blood sugar back to normal levels, insulin back to normal levels. Its hyperinsulinema the problem not an "insulin response" which is actually caused even by meat. Mark puts sugar in his coffee if memory serves me right.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Stevia is a natural herb and when you buy it pure it should only be Stevia, no additive. Pepsi or one of those companies is marketing their brand of it and surely they will have monkeyed with it. There is no insulin response to Stevia. It is safe for diabetics. It does have a bit of a licorice after taste and some people don&#39;t care for it but it is the best option for coffee and such if you don&#39;t want any blood sugar impact. Better off buying it at a health food store though, not one of the brands by the behemoth companies that are in a stampede to sell it now.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I use NuStevia as well. I really like it but don&#39;t use it a lot. I&#39;ll use it to make hot cocoa, or FlyNavyWife&#39;s coconut milk drink, and occasionally in my coffee if I want a "treat." It&#39;s nice in the summer when making lemonade. I guess mostly I do just use it for drinks.

I wouldn&#39;t use anything that isn&#39;t just stevia though. Dextrose- no thanks.

I have found the "taste" to be sort of "planty", like if you&#39;d tasted maple sap (not syrup.) You just sorta get that "planty" taste, but it&#39;s not overpowering to me.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I use SweetLeaf stevia. It&#39;s good for baking and concocting the rare primal dessert. It&#39;s also good for morning coffee if I&#39;m not feeling like drinking it black.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

I find Kal brand the best. Pure stevia extract- no fillers.

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I tried dried Stevia leaf at the co-op once and I didn&#39;t like the after taste. I&#39;ve been using molasses, rapadura, maple syrup, dried dates, honey mostly to sweeten desserts that I make when we have company. I might try the brands mentioned above once I&#39;m done using up all the non-primal sweeteners I have at home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast