Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In need of convincing evidence and research. page 3

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I would advocate you NOT ask her to read good calories/bad calories right off the bat. That's a hardcore book that 75% of people can't wrap their heads around. There is just TOO MUCH DETAIL for the layman to grasp. I would rather have you suggest she read Taubes newer book, "Why we Get Fat". It's kind of like GCBC for the everyday reader, much easier to comprehend and still well written and sourced. I would also suggest the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf (granted she has already read your copy of the PB). Then go about living the lifestyle and she will see all the positive changes in you and jump on board regardless.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Heh, the whole "there's just as much evidence for X proposition" thing always makes me scratch my head.Reality doesn't contradict itself, it is either that something is the case or it is not (or I suppose it could be the case under one condition but not another, either way...) and so we have to admit that some of this purported evidence is bunk and doesn't demonstrate what people say it does. We actually have to have the discussion.
    Most people though are never taught how to evaluate arguments (let alone statistics) and so they have to rely on appeals to authority, and since you can get an 'academic' to publish just about anything, there ends up being a mountain of evidence on either side and people's heads metaphorically explode and they can happily go on not having to upset their world view. And God forbid you try to explain why X's argument/position/scientific paper/study is wrong; people's eyes become Krispy Kremes.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That last comment gave me a great mental image, heh.

I understand that it is annoying to have to debate the finer points of an issue, especially when one is over one's head in new information, I don't like the feeling of not understanding and I certainly don't like finding out that I'm wrong about something and that there was this whole other complicated view of things that I was previously ignorant about. But then the task becomes to learn to like it. It's not like someone has to change their mind all at once. Best to ruminate, but only if it's a genuine speculation.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    As has already been said - most people who ask for scientific evidence are either looking to be told what to do or want something to 'push back' against. Intelligent, reasoned people find their own research and come to conclusions themselves.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Following up on Stabby's point, maybe just start with the first step, you don't need to sell her the whole program. There is plenty of evidence out there that grains, but most importantly gluten grains, are not good for anyone. If she has nagging health concerns that might be a selling point. I would work on compiling evidence for gluten-avoidance first. Dr. Davis at Heartscan blog, Dr. Eades at proteinpower blog, and Dr. Hyman at HuffPost are all good advocates for gluten-free, and Robb Wolf has an excellent post at 4 Hour Body called How to Keep Feces Out of Your Bloodstream. There's also tons of info at celiac.com.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Most people though are never taught how to evaluate arguments (let alone statistics) and so they have to rely on appeals to authority, and since you can get an 'academic' to publish just about anything, there ends up being a mountain of evidence on either side and people's heads metaphorically explode and they can happily go on not having to upset their world view. And God forbid you try to explain why X's argument/position/scientific paper/study is wrong; people's eyes become Krispy Kremes.
    @.@
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

happyme is offline Junior Member
    What is PB? OR are you talking about blood pressure (BP)?

NomadRip is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyme View Post
    What is PB? OR are you talking about blood pressure (BP)?
    PB = Primal Blueprint.
    -James
    Just a n00b

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I have nothing to add besides this:

Dang, Quelsen! You are mighty convincing!

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Buy and read all the books from my Amazon Store.

Or you could go to Paleo Pepper's blog. She is collecting a huge archive of links about every aspect of the Primal/Paleo lifestyle.
    Last edited by Bodhi; 06-06-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added link to Paleo Pepper's blog
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123