Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of convincing evidence and research. page 2

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Indeed, usually these sorts of conversations don't end up with both people sitting down and reading studies and discussing it. What are the points of contention? Grains? Saturated fat?
    Last edited by Stabby; 05-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    "Show me the Science!" Girl Gone Primal: Show Me The Science!

From experience, if your wife doesn't believe it, she won't.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    "Show me the Science!" Girl Gone Primal: Show Me The Science!

From experience, if your wife doesn't believe it, she won't.
    Wow! Great resource!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Steve_G is offline Junior Member
    Altho Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes is very complete I found that his latest book "why we get fat" gets more to the point and is an easy read.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Unless she is prepared to change her mind then she won't. No amount of evidence will do that. And arguing with her will just force her to dig in her heels because people have a hard time admitting they were wrong (or that everything that thought they knew and advocated is bullshit). Proving it with your results is the best bet.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoAlex View Post
    The good news is: Every man has a built in barometer of heart health that tells you each morning whether things are going well or not. If your barometer turgidly points up then your heart is doing well, if you get no reading (like many aging men) most mornings then there are some issues.
    Not reliable. I had a heart attack despite regular morning glory
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

peril is offline Senior Member
    My wife doesn't believe that my diet is what keeps me slim and healthy. She attributes my 10kg weightloss wholly to my exercise regime. Just to prove her point she started walking and meditating every day and lost a couple of kilos. But then she stopped taking her multi in advance of surgery and had no energy to keep exercising. Only supplements I take are D, Mg & Zn

There isn't even any point discussing it with her. She won't read what I read. I just tell her I'll listen to her when she's slim and healthy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Unless she is prepared to change her mind then she won't. No amount of evidence will do that. And arguing with her will just force her to dig in her heels because people have a hard time admitting they were wrong (or that everything that thought they knew and advocated is bullshit). Proving it with your results is the best bet.
    Not completely true. I was a CW health-nut for the longest time, and laughed at the people who eventually got me into primal eating. It started with a book, and their results... 8 months later, I'm a changed woman!

Primal Samurai is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thanks to everyone for the advice so far! Unfortunately, if it's in the book, it's automatically disqualified as a point of evidence. She's, to put it mildly, not a fan of Mr. Sisson, or as she calls him, "The Space Lord" (See cult leader). I've tried pointing things out from the book, studies and whatnot, and things from the site, and it's the standard "Well there's just as much evidence showing the opposite" response.

But I'll definitely recommend her to Mr. Taubes work, and the "Show me the science" link was great! I'm beginning to think she'll never be convinced, but maybe I can at least get her to not think I'm in a cult.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Heh, the whole "there's just as much evidence for X proposition" thing always makes me scratch my head.Reality doesn't contradict itself, it is either that something is the case or it is not (or I suppose it could be the case under one condition but not another, either way...) and so we have to admit that some of this purported evidence is bunk and doesn't demonstrate what people say it does. We actually have to have the discussion.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast