Thread: Beginner Exercise Regimen? page

SK1
    SK1 is offline Member

I have been eating primal for about 2 months now, and I feel like I have a good handle on it. Now I'd like to move on to the primal exercise philosophy. I understand it (I have read the book), but I am afraid I am not doing enough. I would love some tips for a beginner who cannot accomplish a pull-up yet (I just tried at the playground.)

Some things about me:

1. I live in the city, so I naturally walk a lot. I always take the stairs and tend to prefer to walk rather than drive, etc. I get a decent amount of low-level activity this way, however, going into cold, snowy winter this starts to decrease.

2. I do not currently have a gym membership, and most likely will not get one (unless I find something affordable nearby. I do take dance classes once or twice a week (they are about 75 min long, usually hip hop or jazz)

3. The most "in-shape" I have ever felt is after a year of consistent cardio kickboxing classes at a martial arts studio. It was so great for core strength and I always felt such an adrenaline rush - also sweated a TON. I wonder now if it was a bit too much (chronic cardio-land?) Though it was combined with a lot of strength exercises...

4. I would like to lose about 10-15 lbs or more of extra fat and/or go down 2 pants-sizes.

5. I am female, 29 years old.

Today I went to the park and did sprints for about 20 minutes, I walked to and from the park and walked around in between. It felt good but I didn't come home dripping in sweat which is what I used to equate with a good workout - so did I not push myself hard enough?

When lifting heavy things, are bodyweight exercises (like pushups, squats, and planks) enough to start with or do I need extra weight? How many reps should I do/how long should I be training each day?

I really would just love basic ideas for gaining strength and feeling fit, and I thought this forum would be a good way to get fun and interesting ideas from all you fitness buffs out there.

Thanks everyone!

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

Try lifting rocks starting with small ones and working up. My gym at school only has dumbbells that go up to 50 lbs only so my main workout is with rocks behind campus and it's really fun and you'll get awesome strength conditioning.

You can do a lot of things with them. Run and pickup and jog with them back, drop and repeat. Throw them behind the head, in front of the head. Squat them, deadlift them, overhead press them. All kinds of things you can do.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

You could make sandbags. It's something I've been meaning to do. I'd like to make little 5 lb bags and I can pile them into a backpack to haul, throw and lift.

Mr B Guest

Sweat = not a good workout indicator.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think starting off, walking, sprinting, yoga/pilates for core and doing bodyweight excerises will be sufficent. Pushups, pullup and dips for upper body and plyometrics for legs.